Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Seeking a PROVEN Spam Solution for OE
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:25 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Fellow Techies:

I don't actually have the problem; I am not naive. But my friend is. He has been plagued with enormous amounts of spam. The cause is, I believe, when he registers to sites to reep the "member only benifits" he fails to read the check boxes that lie before the submit button. The naive often gets tricked by a variation of different methods. One persuasive method tricks most naive users to believe if the box is checked that translates into no third party spam bombing, or vice-versa. If these naive users would only read the text that comes after the check box it states, "check here if you want third party crap." or vice-versa. READ THE TEXT!

Anyhow since I don't seem to have this problem but he still does. I use a seperate email address to register to sites I'm unsure of. I use Yahoo! email and their killer spam tools. He doesn't want to change his ISP's email address, I don't blame him it has a certain ring to it. He is going to obtain a Yahoo! email address for registeration to sites. But what software do my fellow hardcore techies recommend to effeciently clear up his ISP email addresses' inbox in OE? Please only post suggestions of proven and tested spam control software.

Greatly Appreciated!

Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:42 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Why would someone recommend omethin that is unproven and untested??

Anyhow, I've install Spam Shredder for a few people and they seem to like it.

Myself, I just created a filter that keys on the word javascript. Seems to catch the majority of it.

Of coarse they can always dump OE and go with something like Thunderbird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:50 pm 
Sailorman
Sailorman

Spamnet is the best I've tried. It got rid of 98% for me. I just switched from Starband Satellite to DSL so my new e-mail addy doesn't get any spam yet but when or if it does I will be using spamnet again.

http://www.cloudmark.com/products/spamnet/

There is a free trial version and from what I understand when the trial runs out it still works it just doesn't get any updates. It works with Outlook and Outlook Express.

Almost forgot. It is very easy to set up and use also.

Last edited by Nightcrawler on Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:50 pm 
In the lab!
In the lab!

two to try...
spambays - http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/
popfile - http://popfile.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

both are pop3 proxy filters. basically they run between your email program and your pop3 email server. they download and process the email then pass it on to your email program. If it's clean they leave it alone. If it's spam they'll mark it so you're email program can filter it into a seperate folder.

I run Outlook (not OE) and there is a outlook plugin for spambays that integrates right into outlook and has a few extra features but the core filter engine is still identical.

I average around 20-30 spam messages a day in my inbox and spambays catches every single one of them! I've been using it for months and have had zero false positives and only a few false negatives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:16 pm 

I use SpamPal and love it. It has multiple options for filtering. ie: HTML Modify, RegEx Filter, URLBody, Databases Bayesian etc. It's free! You will probably have to set it up for him if he doesn't like to read. LOL. :wink:

Check it out. http://www.SpamPal.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:03 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I recommend some kind of Bayesian filter.