Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: \windows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing??
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:07 pm 

Hello I have an computer with an ATA hard drive and the cable, and the probelm is I now cant log into windows XP professionel at all cuase it says that \windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing and I need to get into te recovery consel, I did an google and I got different ways to fix the problem but they all say to get into the recovery consel and type in an few commands, so i put my XP pro disk in and ran it then pushed R to get into the recovery consel and it says that it doesnt read or sense an hard drive installed at all?? now Im really screwed?? does any one know how to fix this problem or is the hard drive just dead?

Post subject: Re: \windows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing??
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:32 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Ksquared429 wrote:
Hello I have an computer with an ATA hard drive and the cable, and the probelm is I now cant log into windows XP professionel at all cuase it says that \windows\system32\config\system is corrupt or missing and I need to get into te recovery consel, I did an google and I got different ways to fix the problem but they all say to get into the recovery consel and type in an few commands, so i put my XP pro disk in and ran it then pushed R to get into the recovery consel and it says that it doesnt read or sense an hard drive installed at all?? now Im really screwed?? does any one know how to fix this problem or is the hard drive just dead?

Go into the BIOS and run the HDD detector. See if it sees your HDD at all. Also open the computer and make sure all the cables are secure. If you are concerned about that you can unplug them and reseat them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:48 pm 

Ok I tried reconnecting the cables didnt read it, tried the secondary AtA port didnt work, everything is connected fine and it doesnt detect the hard drive and the message \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt is still there so i have no idea whats wrong??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:59 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I know zilch about WinXP, but I had a similar problem recently. Try clearing the CMOS. If you don't know how, check your manual to find the jumper, then move the clip to 'clear' for 10 seconds, move it back and reboot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:41 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Ksquared429 wrote:
Ok I tried reconnecting the cables didnt read it, tried the secondary AtA port didnt work, everything is connected fine and it doesnt detect the hard drive and the message \windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt is still there so i have no idea whats wrong??

Just to be completely sure try a completely different cable to connect to the drive. Also try a completelydifferent power adapter from the power supply. I have encounter some that where not working. They were damaged inside or something else, but they were not giving power to the device they were connected to within the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:05 am 

I just had this same problem w/ my mother-in-law's laptop this week. the only way i was able to "fix" it is to put in the WINXP disk and install it again, BUT don't install over the old one yet. install it so both installs can run side by side. that way you don't overwrite any files. once you've done that you can now backup any and all files you need to keep on another HD or to a cd or dvd. once you've backed it all up go back to the WINXP disc and format and start all over w/ a fresh install. Yeah this should probably only be your last resort, but if nothing else works, this should.

Jsatt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:54 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Use your XP cd and do a "repair."

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:07 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I like the idea of trying new power cables. Some just head south sometimes causing them to not make good contact. I've had this on an Antec 480, and if you touched the wires going into the molex, the drive would spin up. Let go, and it'd go back off. This kind of junk is really bad as it can distroy your hard drive pretty quick. It can leave behind permanant bad sectors from turning off during a write.

Then you get the IDE cable (P-ATA, right?) that could have been stressed at some point by gawd knows what. If they don't have a pull tab, we tug on the ribbon...we just do. So that could have screwed it at some point. None-the-less, we have to check with a known good cable.

Then you may have a corrupt BIOS. Virus' have been targeting these in recent years. And the random grimlin has been known to just go in there and raise havoc.

Everything else is pretty much out because even the BIOS isn't seeing it. This leaves windows completely out of the picture. The Basic Input/Output System get's it's HDD info right from the drive and it's onboard IC board/chip. It doesn't matter what format it's in or anything yet...if it can't see it, it's not there. And the only thing it needs for this is power and communication to and from the BIOS and HDD.

Try other power lead, try another P/ATA cable, and flash the BIOS. If none of that goes, then I'm afraid your HDD is a goner. Try to RMA it, and if not...take it apart and play with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:39 pm 

Ok so one problem was the ATA drive I had to do this stupid setup again to get it to read it which I had to ndo before so now it could read the hard drive so I did an windows repair install that got it working but not really first it was extremly slow at start up and second the network wasnt working at all so no internet access from that computer atall I Tried everthing to get the network working and it wouldnt budge so I think theres something majorly wrong with the computer so dl service pack 2 and put it on an CD to the new comp and it screwed it up even more now have no idea what to do cept for reformating? There seems to be something majorly screwed up with windows pro ed or the hardware but I doupt its the hardware any help...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:23 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Ksquared429 wrote:
Ok so one problem was the ATA drive I had to do this stupid setup again to get it to read it which I had to ndo before so now it could read the hard drive so I did an windows repair install that got it working but not really first it was extremly slow at start up and second the network wasnt working at all so no internet access from that computer atall I Tried everthing to get the network working and it wouldnt budge so I think theres something majorly wrong with the computer so dl service pack 2 and put it on an CD to the new comp and it screwed it up even more now have no idea what to do cept for reformating? There seems to be something majorly screwed up with windows pro ed or the hardware but I doupt its the hardware any help...

Make sure the hardware is on the MS Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). One main problem is SP2. I have heard lots of people having problem with it. On MS's website they even have a list of apps that do not work right after installing SP2.

You will have to do a reinstall just to get rid of SP2. The symptoms also make me consider bad RAM. download a memory tester and see what you find. I have had cases of this same situation and the culprit was bad RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:50 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Chumly wrote:
Try to RMA it, and if not...take it apart and play with it.

the inside of HDD's are funky and cool..... :D