Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Asus MSA97 motherboard booting issue
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:01 pm 

I have an Asus MSA97 version 1.02 motherboard with an unusual problem. It has SIX Internal SATA ports, but will only boot with two SATA devices connected.

Previously when I had my 60 Gb SSD SATA drive and my SATA DVD/burner drive, everything was fine. But when I introduced a one terabyte SATA laptop drive, the trouble started.

I use the SATA laptop drive as my primary storage drive and the SSD as my boot drive and system drive. When I introduce the SATA laptop drive in ANY configuration, the motherboard will not boot. I have to disconnect the laptop drive first, then the system will boot up fine. I can then either connect the SATA laptop drive after the system is up, or I can use my SATA to USB conversion cable on the USB port. If this laptop drive is connected AT ALL, either through the SATA port or through the USB 2.0 port on powerup, the motherboard will not boot. It stays at the Press F2 to enter the BIOS screen, but you can't do that either because the keyboard is disabled.

I've tried everything I could think of -- swapping cables around, disconnecting the optical drive, my BIOS has the very latest update, and nothing works.

I really want all three SATA drives to live in harmony on the SATA ports ON BOOTUP. The USB to SATA converter is a last resort because the USB 2.0 ports have much lower throughput than the SATA 3.0 Gbs ports. I Have also experimented with various BIOS settings for the BIOS but have had no success. This board will NOT boot with the 1 Tb drive connected BEFORE bootup.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Homemade system:

Asus MSA97 motherboard 1.02 REV.
AMD FX 8150 3.6 Ghz 8-core processor
8 Gb DDR3 1800 Mhz RAM
60 Gb OCZ SSD SATA Drive
1 Tb HGST Travelstar 2.5" SATA drive
Generic Lightscribe SATA DVD-burner optical drive
Corsair TX750W power supply

Post subject: Re: Asus MSA97 motherboard booting issue
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 am 

Try a PCIe Sata Card. You probably have bad sata ports. Intel's P67 had similar problems for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:05 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

How is the system not booting? Does it even get to POST?

You also have USB3.0 ports. A USB3.0 enclosure would work just fine and you'll get near-native speeds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:47 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you have to use an adapter on the back of that drive to hook it up internally? If you did, that may be the problem; not the drive but the adapter may be the problem.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:01 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I don't know if this will help you but... Can you get into the UEFI settings with all of your drives attached? If so you might check to see if the board is setting the first boot device as the hard drive. If it is you should just have to change it to the SSD and off you go! Hope this helps!

Post subject: Update on Asus MSA97 motherboard booting issue
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:27 pm 

Try a PCIe Sata Card. You probably have bad sata ports. Intel's P67 had similar problems for a long time.

Bought a Siig SATA II PCIe card. Installed it correctly. Windows 7 64 bit sees it with no problems.

Turned off computer. Connected my drive to this card, and connected internal power cables to the drive. Booted computer up again. Once again, Motherboard hangs BIOS with drive attached.

I don't know if this will help you but... Can you get into the UEFI settings with all of your drives attached? If so you might check to see if the board is setting the first boot device as the hard drive. If it is you should just have to change it to the SSD and off you go! Hope this helps!

Motherboard hangs on BIOS screen with all three drives attached. I can switch between my DVD drive and my SSD drive, but that's all.

Did you have to use an adapter on the back of that drive to hook it up internally? If you did, that may be the problem; not the drive but the adapter may be the problem.

Nasty

No adapters. It's a SATA drive that I am connecting to internal SATA ports. Connecting my Sata to USB cable to the SATA drive and to one USB port before turning on the computer creates same issue. I am simply not able to get this computer to boot if this SATA laptop drive is connected first. By the way the only options it allows for the SATA ports is AHCI, IDE, or Disabled. There is no separate SSD option as far as I can tell. It sees the SSD as any other compatible SATA drive.

How is the system not booting? Does it even get to POST?

You also have USB3.0 ports. A USB3.0 enclosure would work just fine and you'll get near-native speeds.

IF I connect the laptop SATA drive in any way shape or form to this motherboard, the computer gets to Asus logo screen then stops. Keyboard is inoperative when this happens. Disconnecting and booting up with just my SSD and optical drive, the computer boots normally with no problems.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:33 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Turn off the logo on boot and see what POST is doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:01 pm 

Turn off the logo on boot and see what POST is doing.

An excellent idea. This is what I get after disabling the logo:

With just my SSD and my optical drive, it picks up both drives, plus my keyboard, mouse and and the built in USB Hub on the text only post. I then performed a shut down and moved the SATA cables on the motherboard side over to the other SATA ports to rule out a bad cable or bad SATA port. No problem. It correctly identified each SATA drive at each respective SATA port.

I then shut the computer down, and connected the SATA laptop drive to a SATA port I verified as working earlier. I get a BLACK screen with no text at all! No error messages. Just a black screen.

I shut the computer down, and connected the laptop drive to the SATA controller card. Same thing. A black screen and no POST or error messages.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:32 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Have you ever updated your bios to the latest version, that may solve your issue.

Did you ever update the firmware on the ssd?

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:16 am 

Per my initial forum post the motherboard already has the latest bios updates .

The ssd is not the problem . Its often not recommended to update the bios on a device with no problem .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:53 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Quote:
The ssd is not the problem . Its often not recommended to update the bios on a device with no problem .

This is not true, go to the manufacture of the ssd and see if there is an update. They are always fixing issues with their drives via a firmware updates.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:16 am 

Issue occurs regardless of ssd connection to mothederboard . confirmed that SSD is not the issue .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:38 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Nastyman wrote:
This is not true, go to the manufacture of the ssd and see if there is an update. They are always fixing issues with their drives via a firmware updates.

You should stop suggesting this willy-nilly. Updating the SSD firmware should only be done if there is a severe problem with the current one you're using. Not to mention that the problem on first glance isn't related to the SSD in the first place, but the HDD. If the system refuses to boot with the HDD with it, then that's the most suspect part, not the SSD.

Now... HDD firmware if one exists, that might be something to look at. Otherwise I would suggest...
  • Did you buy this HDD separate from a system? If so, see if you can return it on warranty after explaining your case (they'll probably blame the motherboard).
  • How about booting with just the HDD?
  • Can you see if the HDD is fine on another system?
  • If all else fails, as I mentioned, your motherboard has USB 3.0 ports. USB 3.0 has plenty of bandwidth to service any HDD, so consider a USB 3.0 enclosure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:55 am 

Seems to me the problem is either the hdd or the motherboard. will try each. thanks. all