Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Guild wars 2 and my pc
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have had my fair share of problems with guild wars 2 but here is one that has me scratching my head. First when i have a clean fresh install of windows on my pc
and i install all my drivers for my comp.. and my gtx 560ti is ready to game.. lets say for example i want to play chivalry. SO i load up chivalry and i am playing the game
effortlessly at max graphics with very little sound..

I install guild wars 2 on my system and for some reason or another my gtx 560 ti fan starts LOVING to ramp up to scary high fan noises and its always fluxuating in speed.. AND it stays that way from then on out.. no matter what game i play.. so i head back to chivalry to play a game and BOOM my fan on my card starts SCREAMING.. SO to put it planly.. i play games on my pc before installing and playing gw2 and my card is silent and powerfull... if i play those same games after i install guild wars 2... my card screams like its being tortured.

what could guild wars 2 install on my system to make my video card fan go apeshit?

also i have tested this across a few months time and over many os reinstalls and trust me.. the short of it is. that without guild wars 2 installed my gtx 560 ti superclocked runs game wisper quiet.. with guild wars 2 installed it seems like my card is screaming to be put down with how hard the fan is working..

what is this fucking game doing to my pc?

specs are

amd 8350 8 core processor.
geforce gtx 560ti
gygabyte 990fxa mobo.
16 gigs ram
220 gig ssd

Post subject: Re: Guild wars 2 and my pc
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:42 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Very odd since GW2 is predominately cpu bound. Are you maintaining fps or do they drop when the 560Ti starts going bat shit? Are you monitoring gpu temp? This will tell us if the fans are needed or they are whirling at bat shit speed for no reason due to a schizophrenic signal. Have you contacted GW2 support to open a ticket and providing details of the problem? They may have seen this and therefore have a quick fix for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:02 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I have an old 4150 (8 core) on a Sabertooth motherboard (990FX chipset) with 8 gigs of ram and two 6970s in crossfire. Guildwars 2 runs fine for me, even in the crazy fights that erupt in the wild. When things get intense my gpu fans ramp all the way up and stay there until the fight is over, after that you can hear them ramp back down. This behavior is evident in all my games. When I am not gaming the gpus fans can hardly be heard. It may be the Nvidia driver doing bad things to you, try their forums and search for this problem...it would be interesting to find out if anyone else is having these problems.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:39 am 

I have never heard the fans of my 670 ever ramp up. Running Dual 670's now on an Intel 3770 I7 overclocked cards and CPU The only time I hear the GPU fans come up are when I run a stress test and both are running at 97-99% cycles then I get a fan of about 80% before it levels off the temp curve enough to stay steady.

You can try to lower your resolution of the game, maybe turn the graphics down to low..... but then the game could look bad. Don't know.. I run high everything, soon to be 2560x1600