Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Symantec Antivirus 9 or NAV 2004?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:33 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hello, I was wondering which antivirus sotware is better. Both of these are authored by the same company, but seem to be quite different. Would you suggest using Symantec antivirus Corporate Edition or Norton Antivirus 2004? Symantec AV 9 is good because it has unlimited updates and takes less resources (i think) but so is NAV 2004. I have Symantec AV 9 CE as well as NAV 2004 and 2003 (I have them as part of Norton System Works 2k3 and 2k4). Is System Works worth the install? Hmm I think it isn't because there are better programs for optimiztion, ie. Diskeeper is a great defrag program, better than Nortons...Anyways I'd like to hear your opinions. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:27 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

All in one packages are teh suck IMO. I'm also not real fond of Symantic, Norton Ghost not withstanding. So, before anyone else says it (and I imagine they will), I'll pimp AVG yet again.

This of course doesn't answer your question of 'choose A or B', so I'm making up a 'C' that stands for 'neither'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:17 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

i agree with One4yu2c, except that i use NOD32. however if i had to choose between SAV CE and NAV, i would choose SAV because its less resource intensive and it has good features (however i cant confirm this)
also i wouldnt use NSW, there lots of better and more updated utilities. I have various utilities on my pc including my fav, System Mechanic and TuneUp Utilities. and yes Diskeeper is the best defragger. hope my $0.02 helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:50 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Just for the record, and because part of what I do is server security (and I throw nasty virumen as testing to test units to both test and review new software) I can tell you that all-in ones are ok as long as the individual apps catch things and or block out what you want blocked out and gove you nice control. AVG - even though given a nice rating over commecial apps by MaxPc, AVG is not what it's all cracked up to be. Firstly, since the release of the better paid version of AVG - free AVG has steadily gone downhill with not as many updates and not as effective updates (Virus Dats) in thier database. If you want a better free AV Avast and AntiVir is better imho (in my testing). Norton Professional is quite good, Panda Platinum is quite good. Nod32 is quite good. Look to Avast for a better free AV. KAV is good. Norman also tested out very good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:52 am 

i used to use mcAfee, now I use NAV. Is NAV not as effective as other products out there?

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:42 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Billbo1970 wrote:
i used to use mcAfee, now I use NAV. Is NAV not as effective as other products out there?

Bill

You'll get different answers on that one. In MY experience, no it's not. When I first gave AVG a test run on an infected rig, it picked 3 viruses that NAV never detected. NAV also slowed my system down somewhat, enough to where I could notice it. Running AVG got rid of that minor lag.

Please note that NAV isn't a bad program, but there's better IMO.