Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New PC blues
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:52 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

I ordered parts for a new PC from newegg and took them to a local computer service/sales place to have it put together (since i'm no expert). It's an amd 64 3000+ with ocz 3200 EL, 9800 pro, antec true430, msi k8n neo plat. anyway, it's not very stable, (system likes to reboot... checked the hardware and everything seems fine as far as i can tell) and i'm having problems getting windows update to work. i checked my bios and any adjustments there make the pc very unstable. my proc is 65 degrees celsius (about 150 fahr) idle! i gave the guy cpu thermal paste to use, but who knows if he actually used it. i'm afraid to take off the retail heatsink and fan b/c i've never messed with that stuff before and i'll probably mess something else up. is that temp normal for this setup? i have 4 fans in my coolermaster praetorian, so i don't think that's the problem. it's winxp pro if that helps. any recommendations? thanks a lot for helping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:03 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

those temps are kinda high and maybe your pc is set to reboot or shutoff after a certain temperature. 65c is pretty high for a cpy temp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:27 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

the heat sounds like the problem to me also, maybe not tho, could be faulty hardware.

r u using the stock heat sink or another 1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:39 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Yes, 65C idle would lead to stability problems as you describe. 70C is AMD's listed max, and I imagine you're hitting that in no time once you start to use the computer.

If you're dead set against reattaching the hsf yourself, since you paid for installation, I would take the rig back and have them reinstall the heatsink/paste right in front of you, and fire it up in front of you as well. They should have tested this before giving you the system the first time, and as part of that testing they should have looked at the temps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:24 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

yes, it is the stock heatsink. i'd be glad to take the thing off myself if i knew what i was doing. but i don't have the thermal paste anymore, so if he didn't put it on... well i'd just be up a creek temporarily i suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:13 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Quote:
but i don't have the thermal paste anymore, so if he didn't put it on... well i'd just be up a creek temporarily i suppose.

You're goddamned right you would be! Are you sure he did put thermal paste on at all?

If you want to try it yourself (it's not hard, just don't push down too hard with your screwdriver) then you can look at this to help you. It's for a Socket A, and the HSF stuff doesn't start 'til page 8, but the process remains virtually the same.

DO NOT FORGET THERMAL PASTE.
If you do, your computer will undoubtedly remain in the same condition or, worse, die on you.

In that do NOT put on too much thermal paste. You want that layer to be as thin as possible while still coating the entire surface that will have contact with the CPU.

If you decide to do it yourself, tell us how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:24 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

can you recommend a particular type of compound?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-100-009&depa=0

i think this is the one i gave him to use.

I just checked the bios again, and it said it was 62 degrees C. Any chance the BIOS is wrong? I put my hand in front of the HSF for the proc and it didn't feel very warm at all. :shock: Also, that guide showed the heatsink coming with thermal compound. Maybe he just used the stock thermal compound? If so, there shouldn't be a problem right? BTW, I was able to update windows and the stability issues don't seem to be plaguing me right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:40 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

You want Arctic Silver 5. Can't get better than that in a consumer arena.

As for misrepresenting temps, that is a possibility. Have you tried updating your BIOS to the latest version? Generally, you should be able to feel some significant heat at that temp, but that's not necessarily a given. I wouldn't risk it though, get yourself some AS5 and reseat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:42 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

is there a good hsf i can buy to replace the stock one since i can never get all the compound off of the original hsf?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:40 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

THIS is my favorite. It's not a necessary cost though, as you can certainly clean your existing hsf to make it work sufficiently. But hey, if you're willing to shell out for the Zalman, it's a nice noise/performance heatsink.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 5:14 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

ditto on the above. I have it running on my P4c, and it runs 28-29C idle, 39-42C full load... so quiet, I can hear my harddrives over it.

Don't worry, it has an AMD socket adapter. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:26 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

that says the hsf includes the thermal grease. so should i just stick with what's on there or clean that one off and use the AS5?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:15 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

You'd be fine to use the one included, but AS5 is the top daWg and I personally insist on it even for non-OCd rigs. It's a minor cost and a single tube has enough paste for a bunch of procs if used correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:07 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

pardon my newbiness, but i need to wipe the processor and the heatsink off then squirt a bit of goo on the middle of the processor (as specified by that earlier article) and then it should be running normal temps (hopefully)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:22 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Hairpuller wrote:
pardon my newbiness, but i need to wipe the processor and the heatsink off then squirt a bit of goo on the middle of the processor (as specified by that earlier article) and then it should be running normal temps (hopefully)?

Clean it with q-tips and isopropyl alcohol, >90% if possible. I lightly dip the q-tip and scrub away, then repeat as necessary until the q-tip stops picking up debris. I give it one final buff with a dry tip, and then it's ready for the Arctic Silver.

Follow Arctic Silver's directions for applying their paste. Basically, a very small amount, smearing a thin layer over the core. Mount heatsink and enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:28 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

you make it sound so easy. :? thanks for all the information and patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 4:49 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Hairpuller wrote:
you make it sound so easy. :? thanks for all the information and patience.

It only sounds daunting because you've never done it. Get the first one under your belt and you'll feel a lot more confident :)