Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HELP! No computer
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:45 pm 

Alright I just got a brand new MSI K8N Platinum. And this is what happened.
When I loaded all my system I had a CMOS memory error so I cleared the CMOS, then went in to the BIOS and changed the setting for the boot sequence. This is the first problem and I was able to load Windows. Problem is, since I cleared the CMOS, I have not been able to plug in my usb devices. They are not getting power or anything. They did before I cleared the CMOS but not now. What do I need to do to load them back? I do have the BIOS set to USB v1.0 + 2.0 turned on.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what I can do. I have the motherboard off the metal plat with the provided extension screws. I can only use my keyboard in the PS2 port. Any ideas at what it may be or what I can do? And how to do it? Thanks so much for your help. I am in great need of my computer back after almost 2 weeks without

Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 4:54 pm 

if it is directly related to the cmos, updating (flashing) the bios may help.... Im not sure though. best bet is to call the manufacturer

Post subject: d
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 5:01 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

call the manufacturer, then if they say nothing fixes itself i would rma it. Sounds like something shorted out if the usb ports arent getting power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:01 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

you can definitely upgrade the bios of your mobo and see if that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:00 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Excuse my bluntness here. I'm going through the Hardware haven posting this exact same message, so don't feel like you're being pointed out.

Any thread that has the word "problem" in it, or has the objective of curing a problem belongs in the "Free Clinic", not the hardware haven.

Hardware Haven: Discussion of hardware and technology.
Free Clinic: The emergency room. It's an HMO, but has great service...for free.

Thanks!
-Chumly

Post subject: Re: HELP! No computer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:04 am 
Willamette
Willamette

So you're saying that none of your USB products are receiving any signal from your computer?

Assuming you're running Windows XP, I'm guessing this isn't a driver problem or anything like that. If you have other USB connectors on your motherboard (you will) see if you have a front USB connection on your case and connect the wires from that to your mobo. Those are on a different channel at least, so they might get a response if you did in fact short something when you did a CMOS.

Or you can trying the CMOS again and resetting all your values to the way you like them and see if that will help.

But first, be sure they're on and that it's on hi-speed for USB 2.0. Some of your products may not be backwards compatible

Post subject: Re: HELP! No computer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:29 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Bastion wrote:
Alright I just got a brand new MSI K8N Platinum. And this is what happened.
When I loaded all my system I had a CMOS memory error so I cleared the CMOS, then went in to the BIOS and changed the setting for the boot sequence. This is the first problem and I was able to load Windows. Problem is, since I cleared the CMOS, I have not been able to plug in my usb devices. They are not getting power or anything. They did before I cleared the CMOS but not now. What do I need to do to load them back? I do have the BIOS set to USB v1.0 + 2.0 turned on.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what I can do. I have the motherboard off the metal plat with the provided extension screws. I can only use my keyboard in the PS2 port. Any ideas at what it may be or what I can do? And how to do it? Thanks so much for your help. I am in great need of my computer back after almost 2 weeks without

Thanks in advance

Go into the BIOS and make sure that for some reason the USB ports have not been disabled within the settings. I have had this happen when I had to replace a CMOS battery once.