Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows Explorer error
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:40 pm 

Hi everyone,

well recently I have been having an error when I boot up that says windows explorer has encountered an error and needs to shut down.. but after that, It boots up perfectly, its just annoying. I have a process running named vjnulz.exe.. dont know if this program is spyware or not. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Windows Explorer error
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:11 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

ryan3 wrote:
Hi everyone,

well recently I have been having an error when I boot up that says windows explorer has encountered an error and needs to shut down.. but after that, It boots up perfectly, its just annoying. I have a process running named vjnulz.exe.. dont know if this program is spyware or not. Thanks!

Hmm.. a google search turns up nothing. :(

i would try running AdAware and Spybot and see if either of those pick anything up.

What about AntiVirus? If you don't have that, then I recommend AVG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:33 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Sounds like you have one of those fun little spywares that likes to rename itself, making it both hard to detect and hard to remove. Depending on how infected your system is, you could be in for a real treat. I recently had the pleasure of restoring my mother's rig from one of the most spyware and viral infected machines I've yet seen, to near pristine condition.

For starters, Spybot and Adaware are your friends. It's also wise to invite their cousins, HijackThis (you should post a log before altering anything), and CWShredder. Though not related by blood, you should also invite AVG and give him some cleanup duties.

Next, become familiar with your registry and aware of the risks involved in poking around inside. You may or may not be spending some quality time there. At this point, you specifically should be looking for vjnulz and ridding yourself of those keys.

Msconfig is another area you should visit. Look at what's being loaded at startup and alter as necessary.

With some luck, your rig may be lightly infected and removal could be an easy affair. At worst, however, you'll be running programs more than once and go on a deleting binge.