Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: No POST Screen
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:40 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Have you tried using the VGA port on the video card and monitor. The DVI side of the chip may be dead on the card.

When you shorted the CMOS did you put the jumper back in the "run" position? Look at the manual, it will show the "run" position, check and make sure it is right. The machine won't boot in the wrong position. Did you replace the battery? If not do it.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I did try another video card a old EVGA 256 MB GE force 7900. I even tried the PC hooked to another monitor and DVI cable. The Current new card is about 9 months old, a GE force GTX 460 new though. I have to probably get a new power supply if I was to try another don't have a spare, it never hurts to have another I suppose. I will try the VGA port. I will also try a new CMOS battery, the one I used was new but in a box of battery's here at the house. Still , no beeping sounds from the speaker on start up, Oh yes I did put the jumper back to the default position as per tye manual, pins 1 and 2 closed for normal operation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Another strange thing occurs, I get a different BIOS POST code now "C3" per the manual it says extend memory DRAM select, description OEM specific turn on extended memory

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:07 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

On page 19 of the manual, upper right hand corner is the jumper on pin 1&2 or 2&3? If 2&3 is where the jumper is, move it back to 1&2 which is the normal voltage for the ram and not the over clock setup for the ram.

C3 seems to be pointing at the ram. Shut down the machine, pull the power plug and hit the start button to kill all voltage in the machine then take the ram out and reset it, or better yet if you have ram of the same type in another machine that is running, switch it and see if the ram is good in the running machine. If the good machine won't boot it may be the ram that is bad. Put the ram from the good running machine in the machine that don't boot...if it is the same and see if the busted machine boots.

You didn't by any chance flash the bios and now are having problems...hope not.

Nasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:54 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

OK I have some interesting finds and info, some of it is my fault :oops: But yes I did have the jumper Nasty mentioned in the wrong position set for overclocking of the RAM. I may have done this when trying to set the preferences for mouse and keyboard power on standby or not but had the MOBO in the wrong position or working on the wrong side connecting the wrong jumper. I put it back to normal, Took all 4 sticks out. Even took the CMOS battery out to clear it. Any how I powered it up, , it then shut down after about a minute. Took out 2 sticks of Memory and it stays running, no DVI signal still but a FF code "Boot", As far as the BIOS I did not flash it, I have no spare DDR2 RAM around as my good machine is DDR 3. Also, another small oversight :x The case which is new a Coolermaster HAF 912 series never came with a MOBO speaker. I hooked up all the small Power LED reset and power stand off pins some time ago and took it for granted that The speaker was hooked up. It wasn't cause there is not one. I will run to Fry's and grab one and maybe try some more RAM get some if it s not cost prohibitive. Not ready to throw the towel in yet but if I can salvage this Frankenstein Rig I will keep plugging away with everyone's help and advice.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

It will be interesting to find out what the beep code is, hopefully it will finally point us in the right direction. I hope it doesn't point to the video card, that would mean the pci-e slot is shot.

When testing with the speaker plugged in, try unplugging all hard drives, all optical drives, all pci or pci-e cards with the exception of the video card and put one stick of ram in where it tells you that you can run only one stick of ram. Kind of like getting back to basics.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:27 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Crazy? I went out, found a MOBO speaker, put it in, No Beeps or code, tried it in a different position meaning pos, neg switch polarity, still no beeps. The MOBO Post code on the LED display is , "05", I hope I am not reading "50" . This 05 code makes a little sense though, it means "Blank Video Screen Reset the video controller, Also I am only using 2 stick of RAM right, when I had all 4 with the Memory voltage overclock jumper in the wrong position, is it possible I fried or damaged 2 sticks of the memory. When all 4 were in the machine shut down after only a minute. With only 2 in it stays running.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:33 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Also, would the video controller in message code 05 mean the GPU or Video card and reset mean just removing it from the PCIE slot and replacing it? Also I have tried the card and a different spare in the other PCIE slot too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:35 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Are you sure you don't have any bent pins in the cpu? Did it drop in or did you have to use a bit of pressure? It should just drop in. Is the cpu fan plugged into the port for the cpu, if not, many boards won't boot.

I hate to say it but it almost sounds like a corrupt bios or a bad motherboard. Some manufactures like Asus made it so you can recover the bios with the motherboard cd, is that so with your system?

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:47 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

CPU fan is plugged in to the correct stand off pins. Checked it again from the manual. As far as the CPU, I had no problems. It just dropped in. Now I restarted , the Machine, I have a FF code, BOOT, I get different messages every time I restart. I tried the CD that came with the MOBO. I am still in a bind cause I have no DVI output or signal. The CD is a driver and utility CD, nothing on the label about BIOS. IF the MOBO is bad or a corrupt BIOS, at this point is it time to move on? I spent maybe 175 on the board if I remember, Its been so long.
I still have a new case, 1 TB HD and a hopefully still good 1 GB EVGA GE force GTX GPU and Samsung Optical drive. Should I just bite the bullet and get a new MOBO RAM CPU and start over?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:37 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

It just depends on how much you want to fool with it. I wouldn't spend any more money on it though. Are there swollen capacitors on it? See: http://www.badcaps.net/ The little cans may be swollen, the top popped or they may be blown from the bottom. That might explain all the strange codes and why it once worked and then stopped while it sat. If you go another board, be sure it has the same socket style as the processor you want to use. You have a TForce 590 SLI Deluxe board which is a socket 2 AMD chip. Those have been obsolete for some time. Memory might be a problem too if the replacement board requires a different speed from what you have (DDR-2 also old stuff).

Beyond that, many motherboards come with onboard sound and video so that could solve the potential problem of a bad video card. What FUN!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:50 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Wow, That's it I mean upon close examination, there they are about 13 of them. The tops of the capacitors are split open. Well now I feel relieved and have closure. We know what the problem is. Now I will try and deal with Biostar or just move on and start over.
Thanks to everyone that responded and offered help and suggestions. Thank you all again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:49 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

If you deal with Biostar, let us know how they treated you. I didn't think to ask about popped caps, I thought they fix that problem a long time ago. This is the first instance I have heard about in a long time. Good catch oldwizkid!

Nasty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:39 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I tried to upload a JPG image but for some reason it wont take it or let me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:42 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I received this message when I tried to add the file then upload it
Could not upload attachment to ./files/26677_ae6cab06054d5eca3a12c21af76f1e5c.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Is there a possibility that video card was damaged? Due to bad capacitors?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:14 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'd say the possibility is slim. I have seen bad caps on video cards. Are there bad caps on the video card? You might even want to peek inside the power supply for bad caps if it is of the same vintage, age wise. I would think it would take a pretty large pulse of too much voltage to damage a video card on a motherboard with bad caps. If you got video at all, I'd say the card is OK. If the video card is bad, it just won't work. It shouldn't damage another motherboard in good shape.

Nasty, I agree with you, that problem should have been fixed and it probably has. I've noticed many vendors now brag about solid state Japanese caps. I would have thought that all the bad caps out there would have popped by now too. I'm "lucky" enough to work on a lot of older systems and still see a bad cap or two. No name power supplies are plagued with them also.

Lesson learned here, don't overlook the possibility of bad caps whenever a system is acting whacky no mater what the age. The caps are easy to inspect once the side cover of the enclosure is removed. With the number of ones and zeros occurring with such a small change in voltage, turning on and off literally millions of times a second, it doesn't take too many unfiltered pulses to confuse things and wreak havoc with a system.

Sorry the motherboard is bad, but at least the problem revealed itself upon inspection.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

OK I hope to salvage the PSU, HD maybe the CPU fan (Zallman) and of course the GPU. All new. A hard lesson indeed on the wallet especially after Christmas, This was a late Christmas present for my boys but help is only a couple of mouse click away to PC Parts picker web site.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

In response to Nasty's question on how Biostar dealt with me, they were nice but there was nothing they could do. It was purchased in June of 2011 but they said it was out of warranty. I asked if they would give me credit from the original purchase price ($70.00, not too bad of a loss like I thought) towards a new Biostar but they said they could not offer such a credit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:06 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Keep the post open and let us know how the new build works.

Nasty