Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

How did your first motherboard upgrade go ?
Perfect 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
Just one little problem 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
About "average" 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Just one disaster 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The upgrade from HELL !!!!!!! 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7
 Post subject: Motherboard, RAM and CPU upgrade info needed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:56 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hi again smart people,
I want to upgrade my son's computer for gaming but I have never upgraded a mobo, so I am worried I will f**** it up. I know I have to buy a mobo compatible with my ATX case, and a CPU (Athlon 64) compatible with the mobo as well as DDR RAM that is compatible. What other parts do I need to buy ? Please tell me, in excruciating detail, which parts I need to make sure I have, because I don't want to make 10 trips to CompUSA. Thanks so much for your time. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:04 am 
Willamette
Willamette

First off ,you need to specify a budget. This project could range anywhere from 400$ (if just an upgrade) to well on to 1500$ or above (if getting the highest quality components in a brand-new system).

There are a bunch of threads in the Hardware Haven for this type of inquiry, as this really isn't a technical problem, persay, but if you do have problems setting up the new rig (it's almost foolproof nowadays) you should come back and post specific problems.

I'm going to grab you some nice threads from the HH and you can use that as more of a guide.

Here's one on the "Best Choices for Motherboard, cpu, and ram": http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1778'

Chumly is obviously an Intel supporter (as am I, really) but your son will probably be using this system more for gaming so it'd probably be better to stay the AMD/nVidia course.

As for RAM, I personally recommend Corsair plat XMS series; solid, stable, overclocks very well. Others would recommend OCZ as well, but I've never had experience using it, so I won't.

As far as a video card goes, the BFG 6800 Gt is kicking ass in benchmarks all over ATi's counterpart the X800 PE, so you might want to think about that one.

Beyond that it's up to the rest of your budget, so chime in when you can.

Last edited by ShiftyEyedGoat on Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:10 am 
Klamath
Klamath

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
First off ,you need to specify a budget. This project could range anywhere from 400$ (if just an upgrade) to well on to 1500$ or above (if getting the highest quality components in a brand-new system).

There are a bunch of threads in the Hardware Haven for this type of inquiry, as this really isn't a technical problem, persay, but if you do have problems setting up the new rig (it's almost foolproof nowadays) you should come back and post specific problems.

I'm going to grab you some nice threads from the HH and you can use that as more of a guide.

muchas gracias Senor Goat ! I plan on spending about $400 for the whole project, so it's just an upgrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:16 am 
Willamette
Willamette

ah, ok, here's a thread on the "best mobo and proc combo for around 360$": http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1984

The consensus was not that helpful, but it's a good idea to look at the Athlon 64 3200+ with any paired mobos (favorites being gigabyte or Asus). Ram is also integral, and PC3200 (at least) is necessary to take full advantage of the AMD rigs.

Also, look up and see if any of that edited information helps you at all. ;]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:47 am 
Klamath
Klamath

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
ah, ok, here's a thread on the "best mobo and proc combo for around 360$": http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1984

The consensus was not that helpful, but it's a good idea to look at the Athlon 64 3200+ with any paired mobos (favorites being gigabyte or Asus). Ram is also integral, and PC3200 (at least) is necessary to take full advantage of the AMD rigs.

Also, look up and see if any of that edited information helps you at all. ;]

ok, went to Newegg.com and here's my first guess:
Asus K8V, Socket 754 mobo = $103
AMD Athlon 64 2800+ = $148
Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - OEM = $160
Price so far (excluding taxes, shipping, etc.) = $411. Does this combo make sense ? I'd like to spend a lot more on my son, but alas..... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:18 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Haven't heard too much clamour about the 2800 Athlon 64, but that looks like a decent setup.

Unfortunately, 400$ isn't the best amount to start an ultimate gaming rig, but depending on what you currently have, it could be a huge step up.

Also, this is completely neglecting a video card. If you're planning on blasting away baddies in Doom III with an old GF2 32mb, you're going to be sorely mistaken.

My laptop with a 1.5 Ghz centrino core, 512mb pc2700 ram, and ATi 9600 pro extreme (or whatever they call the laptop version) 128mb vid card can play pretty well on medium graphics, so you could probably take a leap forward with the setup that you're suggesting. As always, read reviews on the 2800+ and the Asus to make sure they offer what you want and even a look towards the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:41 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
Haven't heard too much clamour about the 2800 Athlon 64, but that looks like a decent setup.

Unfortunately, 400$ isn't the best amount to start an ultimate gaming rig, but depending on what you currently have, it could be a huge step up.

Also, this is completely neglecting a video card. If you're planning on blasting away baddies in Doom III with an old GF2 32mb, you're going to be sorely mistaken.

My laptop with a 1.5 Ghz centrino core, 512mb pc2700 ram, and ATi 9600 pro extreme (or whatever they call the laptop version) 128mb vid card can play pretty well on medium graphics, so you could probably take a leap forward with the setup that you're suggesting. As always, read reviews on the 2800+ and the Asus to make sure they offer what you want and even a look towards the future.

I forgot to mention his video card. He is using a better one than I :o He is using an Nvidia GeForce FX5300. The main things holding him down now are the components I'm upgrading. I'd love to plunge $1000 in there for him, but..... oh well. Thanks for your time.

Post subject: Re: Motherboard, RAM and CPU upgrade info needed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:29 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

newbiesteve wrote:
Hi again smart people,
I want to upgrade my son's computer for gaming but I have never upgraded a mobo, so I am worried I will f**** it up. I know I have to buy a mobo compatible with my ATX case, and a CPU (Athlon 64) compatible with the mobo as well as DDR RAM that is compatible. What other parts do I need to buy ? Please tell me, in excruciating detail, which parts I need to make sure I have, because I don't want to make 10 trips to CompUSA. Thanks so much for your time. :)

Well, what kind of hardware does he currently have?
What kind of games is he going to be playing?

If you don't mind used parts, you might want to hit up the appraisal table and 'appraise' someones 'old' hardware. or, try
2CPU.com's forum For Sale/For Trade
I get stuff off of there all the time fairly cheap. Just make sure to check references to make sure you don't get ripped off.

(Damn, I just saw a guy selling 4x PIII 933's for $100. I could have used those at work)[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 10:47 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

abit ic-7

smoother than butter that has been melted