Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Possible SSD failure
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:37 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Hey Guys,

I currently use a 120gb Vertex 3 as a boot drive which also holds some apps that I use frequently. Over the past few weeks I think it is starting to fail. Periodically when the computer is idle, it will shut down and when it reboots the SSD cannot be seen in the BIOS. It requires me to cycle the power supply and then the SSD can be seen and used.

This has never happened while I am actually using the computer (locally or remotely).

I have 2 questions.

1. Does this sound like an SSD failure and can I expect it to get worse as time goes on?

2. Is there a way to make a backup or image of the SSD so that I do not need to reinstall everything if I were to replace it?

Thank you in advance

Phad

Post subject: Re: Possible SSD failure
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:33 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Actually, it could be that you just need to update the firmware on your SSD, phaddie. Do you have the latest firmware revision for your SSD installed? I know that OCZ is good about providing firmware updates for their products. Also, you never mentioned any other specs about your system. I assume this is a desktop computer. Do you have the latest BIOS revision of your motherboard installed as well?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:55 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I am a nuts and bolts type of guy. I would first check to make sure all the power cables are plugged all the way in on the drive and motherboard. For some reason until they made the sata cables with the metal clip, the old style cables would back out from just moving your pc, or just from running over a period of time. Then I would follow pcstudent's advice.

Nasty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:56 pm 

Assuming its not a loose connection of data or power connectors it very much sounds like a failing SSD. I had an A-DATA drive behave the same way. If you can recycle the power to get it going temporarily that woulde a good time to back up or clone the drive or make an image. Do this first before you attempt any firmware upgrade on the drive because sometimes firmware upgrades brick or wipe the drive. Contact your SSD manuafcturer, you might find that SSD was from a bad batch and get it swapped for a new one...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:06 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

phaddie wrote:
Hey Guys,
2. Is there a way to make a backup or image of the SSD so that I do not need to reinstall everything if I were to replace it?

macrium reflect free

it keeps SSD 4k alignment and will restore to a different size drive/partition.

Ive used it and used its restore capabilities several times now.

as for the failure, Im with Nasty.. check cables. also check for bulging caps on the mobo (if it san older one), I had disappearing drives on a failing mobo due to those.