Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RUNDLL ERROR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:40 am 

I am getting the follwoing error every time I start up my pc:

RUNDLL

Error loading C:\Program Files\Wildtangent\Apps\CDA\cdaengine0400.dll

The Specified Module Could Not Be Found.

A Wildtangent program folder does not exist nor is there a program file folder. Doing a find file search doesn't find anything either. I've never loaded this and when I run Spybot it says it is spyware. Spybot eliminated it and when I run Spybot again it doesn't show up but I still get this error. How do I get rid of this annoying error? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:26 am 

Well, Wildtangent isn't really spyware. It's some kinda gaming-over-the-net thing. If you didn't install it then someone else has access to you 'pute and did it for you (boot to the head cures this tendancy...or else locking down the PC when yer not at it).

If you're running something other than win2k, go to Start > Run, type msconfig, and look at the startup section. If there's a wildtangent entry in there, uncheck it, apply, reboot, ignore warning about using the system configuration tool, then continue on with life.

Solution 2 would be to go into Spybot and try to restore the deleted wildtangent stuff and then uninstall it with whatever wildtangent uses for an uninstaller (since it's a legit app you can probably get info from their site)

Or, reinstall wildtangent to the same place it originally was and then uninstall it properly

As to spyware tools. It's good to always research things yourself rather than trust them outright to muck your system about. I always find the information I want in the first 5 or so results in a google search.

<=T=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:03 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

If you don't recall installing it, another application such as AOL IMer may have slipped it by you. Did you look in Add/Remove programs to see if uninstalling is an option?

Also, try looking in the registry for cdaengine0400.dll and delete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:49 am 
Willamette
Willamette

this thread in this forum might help:

http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/index. ... topic=4516

It requires HJT (hijack this!) which isn't commonly used around here.

It sounds like spybot caught it and got rid of it, but it's still calling to the regkey on startup to files that no longer exist. Find the regkeys (maybe the one referenced in the thread) and get rid of them. This will stop them from being called on startup or wherever.

You can do this by going into run >> regedit >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Run and checking out the keys there. But DON'T DELETE IT unless you know what it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:27 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

ShiftyEyedGoat wrote:
this thread in this forum might help:

http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/index. ... topic=4516

It requires HJT (hijack this!) which isn't commonly used around here.

It sounds like spybot caught it and got rid of it, but it's still calling to the regkey on startup to files that no longer exist. Find the regkeys (maybe the one referenced in the thread) and get rid of them. This will stop them from being called on startup or wherever.

You can do this by going into run >> regedit >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / SOFTWARE / Microsoft / Windows / Current Version / Run and checking out the keys there. But DON'T DELETE IT unless you know what it is.

Download Ad-Aware from www.lavasoft.de, update it, and scan it using the smart scan. It will scan all running process and the registry better than spybot ever does. It will also ask to reboot and run at reboot to clearn any spyware found running at startup.