Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can I use ram that requires different voltages?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:00 am 
Million Club
Million Club

I have a Q6600 proc running on an EVGA 122-ck-nf68 nForce 680i SLI mobo. When I originally built the system in August of '07 I went with 2GB on Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 DDR2 @ 1066MHz. My friend just gave me 2 more 2GB kits of the same exact memory. The model number of all 3 kits is CM2x1024-8500C5D. All 3 kits say XMS2-8500 1024MB 1066MHz 5-5-5-15. On the actual sticks of ram, all 4 of the new sticks I've been given say "ver 1.2" but one of them says 2.20V and the other doesn't list a voltage. I don't think the ram in the system now is ver 1.2 and I don't think it runs at 2.20 volts and I don't know what voltage the new kit that doesn't list the voltage runs at.

Is it ok to run 2 sets that need different voltages? I really want to get this system to 4GB. I have been playing Planetside 2 a lot lately and the game keeps freezing and crashing after 20 to 40 minutes of play. 4GB is the minimum ram required for the game and SOE refuses to help troubleshoot my issue as long as I am running below their specs... I know my 2GB of ram isn't causing these crashes. In the PS2 forums, people with 8, 16, 32, or even 64!!GB of ram are having the same problems. PS2 generates an error log when I crashes and I included the obtuse error code the game is giving in my support ticket but they won't even tell me what that error code means because I'm "under spec"... I highly doubt the error code means, "only 2GB of ram detected, system under spec, commence game freeze and crash"...

I just want to get 4GB of ram running in this system so the game can freeze and crash again and finally get SOE to work on the problem without my ram as a cop out!

I don't know if running 2 sets or ram with differing voltages will damage the mobo or cause system instability. Any tips?

Thanks,
Lax

Post subject: Re: Can I use ram that requires different voltages?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:38 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I remember mixing and matching a 2.2V and a 2.5V RAM no problem, if that helps. Though they were both made by the same brand and I remember specifically asking them about it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:49 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Thanks. I'm going to try installing the new ram now and I will see what happens. I can always take it out right? ;-)
I am going to make a back up of my bios first and I'm going to write down all my current memory settings in bios so I can verify everything. I'll post back and let you know how it goes.

I think this is a first for me, a SPITE upgrade. Just to shove it in SOE's face that my amount of system ram has nothing to do with the memory leak in Planetside 2 lol...

Thanks,
Lax

PS. The new kits I was given are the exact same Brand and Model just a newer version and that's what has me worried. I'm not sure if my mobo lets me set ram voltages on each bank individually or not. If it does then this should be a non-issue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:45 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

As a general rule, you shouldn't mix dimms that way. You can... I have... But it is usually less stable to do so. And you will end up losing the performance that you could have had with the faster dimms. Now, you could re-tune the settings to where you are effectively overclocking the slower sticks, but if you were gonna overclock anyway, why not overclock the good dimms, and get even better results? It's alright to use some mismatched dimms to get you by for a while, but it shouldn't ever be any type of long-term solution.