It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 6:43 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

Treklink256 wrote:
Hi all,

The system now completely refueses to boot. It's dead.

I noticed a pair of capacitors on the mobo near the CPU had some brown corrosion on them. Looks like they blew, which could be why it won't boot.

Already tried a full reinstall, and the "fix existing installation" option. No effect.

I'm also not using the P133 fan to cool the CPU - I'm using it to cool the GPU, a 4-year-old GeForce256 board. It's not ideal, I know, but it's better than no fan at all, which at the moment is the only other alternative.

In the meantime, I ran out to the local Best Buy and grabbed an off-the-shelf Sony VAIO desktop system (time for an upgrade anyhow). I was hoping to remove the old HDD and install it in the new system, boot that into safe mode, and ditching my needed files onto a CD-R.

When I removed the HDD from the VAIO system and installed the one from the "bootless machine" in it, the VAIO refused to boot. It just sits and emits a long, nonstop beep. Tried both cable select (end IDE connector of course) and explicitly setting the drive as master, still won't boot. (mobo is P4SD-VL). Inserted a Ghost boot floppy, and Ghost did detect the HDD, so I'm thinking the drive is installed correctly. Don't have time to troubleshoot at the moment, will try again tomorrow - any thoughts, anyone? Thanks!

The HD from the Vaio machine may have some files on it required to boot such as a hidden partition with part of the BIOS or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

A hidden partition - I thought hidden partitions could be detected by booting from a Ghost boot disk, or by running a disc defrag program...? In any case, it seems I've only got one partition on this machine, and I can't detect any evidence whatsoever of a hidden partition. Anyone know any tricks for uncovering one, if it exists?

I also emailed Sony's tech support and explained the situation to them, and asked for suggestions. Their response whas essentially, "please contact a local computer technician to support you with this issue". Of course, I AM the local computer technician **rolls eyes**.

Just thought of something I'm going to try... I'll take the 120GB HDD that came with the Sony system, and ghost it to CD-R. I'll then delete that partition, create a new one, and then have Ghost transfer the data from my old drive onto this new one, and hopefully I can boot off of it in safe mode to recover data. At first I'll try a normal disc-to-disc copy, then mabye a sector-by-sector copy if that doesn't work. Sounds a bit risky, but I don't think I have much of a choice at this point.

This sounds really stupid, but does anyone know how to get a Sony system to boot into safe mode? I tried pressing F8 at startup, but was only given the options to boot from the HDD (normally), a CD drive, or the floppy drive - no option for safe mode...

Again, any comments, thoughts, suggestions whatsoever are truly appreciated...

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:28 am 
Sailorman
Sailorman

Safe mode? Try hitting F8 repeatedly and when the boot option screen comes up (HD, CD, Floppy) hit escape and continue hitting F8. Don't let any time lapse between escape and F8 again. You only have a second or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:52 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ah, got it. It was F5 to enter safe mode, not F8.

Anyways, after about 14 tries, I finally managed to enter safe mode on the new 120GB drive, with the old 30GB drive with the data I needed installed as a slave. I then was able to copy/paste most of the files I needed into the new system. Disaster averted. :D (YAY !) :D

Now I guess I begin reinstalling my old apps, setting up user accounts, and restoring my system to the way it was before, more or less.

Now that leaves me with the issue of NTFS-encrypted files on my old drive. I'd like to get the system to boot from that old drive so I can decrypt the files and transfer them to the new one. Although the drive worked when installed as a slave, I still can't get the system to boot from it as a master, even in safe mode. Nothing I can't live without is in there, but I want them back anyways. And yes, I know encryption isn't an option with XP Home Edition.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:30 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

you will not be able to boot from the old drive with your new system. There are numerous things that OS installation would be looking for on the old MB that won't be there on your new one. different memory and HD controllers, etc. As for reclaiming the files...well, i hope its just a simple matter of reclaiming ownership of the folder using the permissions settings. However, if you actually used the encryption, as described here http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=104, and you didn't back up your encryption key, I think you are pretty much out of luck, as described here http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview ... erthread=y