Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Using a Plama Screen as a monitor....
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:23 pm 

I have a panasonic 42" plasma screen with (Model TH-42PA20) A PC terminal to use as a monitor.

I'm going to pick up a dual Male connector tomorrow to hook it to my PC then try it on my Fiance's Laptop.

The PC has win98SE and an ATI 9200se card.

The Laptop is a Dell Insipion 8100 with XP Home edition and Nvidia card.

Has anybody here tried this config before? I'm thinking I Might need display drivers? Or will the generic windows drivers work with the Plasma screen.

I'm dying to play UT on the 42" screen. If anybody tried this before I would like to anticipate any possible headaches.

I did google it and checked with Panasonic, I've got to check again during business hours, bah. There seems to be nothing I can dig up on this.

Any help from prior good/bad experiences would be greatly apprecited before I tackle the proble. I just feel it, I know its not going to work so easy for me. Mr. Murphy just wont allow it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:16 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

it should work just like a regular tv i would think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:24 am 
Team Member
Team Member

You will get a picture, but unless you have the ATI HDTV converter dongle thing, then you might as well be using a 13" tv.

BTW, only ATi can output HDTV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:04 am 

Not quite...

There are 3 ways of outputting from a video card to HDTV.

DVI-D, DVI-I, and component.

NVidia cards with DVI interfaces might be able to work with your DVI capable HDTV. I personally use an ATI AIW Radeon.

The drivers for both the graphics card and the monitor will be an issue, and you just might spend hours and hours and hours tweaking your resolutions in PowerStrip.

My current resolutions for desktop and gaming are 1152x648 (best), 640x480 (good), 800x600 (haven't yet correctly tweaked).

If you use powerstrip, try to figure out how to save or backup your resolution timings. When I upgraded to Catalyst 4.9 mine got wiped out (and I had 800x600 about perfect).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:12 am 

Oh, looks like your screen has a VGA interface (http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin ... iewid=4046)...

is that right? Everything should be ok, but looks like you'll be gaming at 640x480 or possibly the wide-screen equivalents (480p).

Post subject: Re: Using a Plama Screen as a monitor....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:53 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Icepicjoey wrote:
I have a panasonic 42" plasma screen with (Model TH-42PA20) A PC terminal to use as a monitor.

I'm going to pick up a dual Male connector tomorrow to hook it to my PC then try it on my Fiance's Laptop.

The PC has win98SE and an ATI 9200se card.

The Laptop is a Dell Insipion 8100 with XP Home edition and Nvidia card.

Has anybody here tried this config before? I'm thinking I Might need display drivers? Or will the generic windows drivers work with the Plasma screen.

I'm dying to play UT on the 42" screen. If anybody tried this before I would like to anticipate any possible headaches.

I did google it and checked with Panasonic, I've got to check again during business hours, bah. There seems to be nothing I can dig up on this.

Any help from prior good/bad experiences would be greatly apprecited before I tackle the proble. I just feel it, I know its not going to work so easy for me. Mr. Murphy just wont allow it.

with the way computers are used, aren't you gonna surfer burn-ins with a plasma TV?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:58 pm 

Ok, I tried it and so far the best I can get out of the VGA hook up is 640x480.

Then after playing around with it a bit I did get 1024 x 768 for the desktop pic only and the games wont run on the screen. No Icons appear on the big screen, only on the laptop screen.

My nividia display setting under the advanced tab is missing the twin view option. It was there before. would a driver upgrade bring that twinview tab back?

This is with the dell 8100 with the nvidia card.

If I had the Twinview option tab then I can pretty easily configure it.

That Powerstrip Link is great, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:32 am 
Team Member
Team Member

cigar3tte wrote:
with the way computers are used, aren't you gonna surfer burn-ins with a plasma TV?

IIRC, plasma screens don't suffer from burnout.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:40 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

deject wrote:
cigar3tte wrote:

IIRC, plasma screens don't suffer from burnout.

I was under the impression that LCD flat planels don't suffer from burn-in, however gas plasma screens do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:03 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plas ... urnin.html

From Page: "So, how do you prevent burn-in on your brand-new plasma television screen?

(1) Some obvious advice: Do not leave static images on your plasma TV screen. Turn off your unit when you are not watching it. Do not pause DVDs for more than a few minutes at a time.

(2) Know that plasma screens are more prone to burn-in during their first 200 hours of use. When phosphors are fresh, they burn more intensely as they are ignited. This means that relatively new plasma display panels are prone to ghosting, which occurs when on-screen images appear to stay on the screen belatedly. This is probably just a function of the high intensity with which new phosphors "pop," and this phenomenon usually "washes out" on its own, as the screen displays subsequent images. When static images are left on new plasma screens too long (more than a few minutes at a time), though, ghosting quickly develops into something more permanent -- burn-in.

Self-Defense: Break your new plasma monitor in slowly. Keep the CONTRAST set at or below 50% -- any higher only causes phosphors to glow more intensely, which decreases the length of time necessary for burn-in to occur. And, be sure to avail yourself of your plasma's anti-burn-in features. These are monotone gray or snow screen settings that "wash" your plasma screen by recalibrating pixel intensity levels uniformly. This reduces the visual effects of ghosting. It's probably a good idea to run one of these screen "wash" cycles after about 100 viewing hours or so. (Note: These processes will impact the lifespan of the phosphors in your unit, so you should run them selectively and on an as-needed basis.)

(3) Know, too, that some plasma display panels burn-in more easily than others. In my experience, AliS type panels -- the ones utilized by Hitachi and Fujistu -- seem more readily given over to problems with burn-in.

(4) Utilize burn-in protection like power management settings, full-time picture shift (both vertical and horizontal), and automatic screen-saver functions. Check your Owner's Manual for further information.

(5) Realize that quality matters with burn-in as with everything else. You definitely want to purchase a plasma monitor that has really good scaling, so that you can watch 4:3 TV programs in widescreen comfortably. It is just not a good idea to leave black bars on your TV screen for prolonged periods of time, so you are probably better off watching most everything in "full screen" mode. This should not really bother you, if your TV exhibits good full-screen scaling. "