Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Invisible Windows Disc
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:19 pm 

i seem to have a windows XP Pro "backup" disc that appears to be completely invisible to my computer entirely. this back up disc was made from an actual copy of WIN XP pro i used the original disc to istall the original setup when i built my box. once i got it up and running i made my backup as i tend to be tough on discs. so using the backup, so as not to destroy the original in my journey, for the general updates and rev of my system it worked great for quite some time. then a few months later, after isstalling VMWare on my system to play around w/ redhat 9, i noticed that this disc and a number of others were nop longer being read by my computer. attempted to clean BOTH optical drives, disconnected and reconnectd many times, got newest drives for ALL hardware. The disc does and always has worked great on EVERY other system. but due to this issue i am currently unable to reinstall the OS to fix other normal WINXP issues i seem to be having. here's the important specs of the system...

ASUS A7N8X Mobo
AMD Athlon 2800+ Barton
2x 256k kingston Ram
Leadtek vid card w/ NVidia Geforce FX 5200 chipset
Samsung 52x CDROM
TDK 4x DVD+RW
Win XP Pro SP1

also from day one i have had issues w/ my floppy drive. after connecting it, it will work for a day or two then i have to switch to a differnt floppy drive after which a day or 2 more i must switch again. to actually use a floppy drive i have to switch the 2 drives out every other day or so.

Are these 2 issues that could be linkd??? is the CD issue a problem w/ the OS or the hardware??? how can i fix this???

Jsatt

Post subject: Re: The Invisible Windows Disc
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:47 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Jsatt18 wrote:
i seem to have a windows XP Pro "backup" disc that appears to be completely invisible to my computer entirely. this back up disc was made from an actual copy of WIN XP pro i used the original disc to istall the original setup when i built my box. once i got it up and running i made my backup as i tend to be tough on discs. so using the backup, so as not to destroy the original in my journey, for the general updates and rev of my system it worked great for quite some time. then a few months later, after isstalling VMWare on my system to play around w/ redhat 9, i noticed that this disc and a number of others were nop longer being read by my computer. attempted to clean BOTH optical drives, disconnected and reconnectd many times, got newest drives for ALL hardware. The disc does and always has worked great on EVERY other system. but due to this issue i am currently unable to reinstall the OS to fix other normal WINXP issues i seem to be having. here's the important specs of the system...

ASUS A7N8X Mobo
AMD Athlon 2800+ Barton
2x 256k kingston Ram
Leadtek vid card w/ NVidia Geforce FX 5200 chipset
Samsung 52x CDROM
TDK 4x DVD+RW
Win XP Pro SP1

also from day one i have had issues w/ my floppy drive. after connecting it, it will work for a day or two then i have to switch to a differnt floppy drive after which a day or 2 more i must switch again. to actually use a floppy drive i have to switch the 2 drives out every other day or so.

Are these 2 issues that could be linkd??? is the CD issue a problem w/ the OS or the hardware??? how can i fix this???

Jsatt

Check the manufacturer's website for the drives to see if there is a firmware update. This fixes problems with our CD-RWs at work when the quit reading CD completely or have problems burning CD properly.