Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: P4C800-E Dlx problem pls help!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:23 pm 

The mb and cpu was installed by mwave.com in May. The computer has been solid since until yesterday. The computer locked up so we had to cycle the power (note, it's on a UPS). After turning on the PC, the hard drives start to spin up, then the computer shuts off no video, does not POST.

I pulled all the PCI cards and drive cables off the mb and still the same problem. Do you think this is a grounding issue or is my mb dead?

Rick

Post subject: Re: P4C800-E Dlx problem pls help!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

rstark wrote:
The mb and cpu was installed by mwave.com in May. The computer has been solid since until yesterday. The computer locked up so we had to cycle the power (note, it's on a UPS). After turning on the PC, the hard drives start to spin up, then the computer shuts off no video, does not POST.

I pulled all the PCI cards and drive cables off the mb and still the same problem. Do you think this is a grounding issue or is my mb dead?

Rick

Have you tried reseating the cpu?
Were you overclocking before?
Have you tried resetting the BIOS jumper?
Have you pulled out the RAM to see if you get the annoying beeps? IF you've pulled the RAM and don't hear the beeps, you're board or cpu is dead :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:01 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

if you think its the power take it off the ups and plug it right into the wall, aside from that boo has it covered

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:08 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

gramaton cleric wrote:
if you think its the power take it off the ups and plug it right into the wall, aside from that boo has it covered

I knew I forgot something. Dead/dying PSU's cause really strange things to happen.

Thanks for pointing that out :)

Post subject: Re: P4C800-E Dlx problem pls help!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:10 pm 

Booradley wrote:

Have you tried reseating the cpu?
Were you overclocking before?
Have you tried resetting the BIOS jumper?
Have you pulled out the RAM to see if you get the annoying beeps? IF you've pulled the RAM and don't hear the beeps, you're board or cpu is dead :(

I took the mb out of the case and set it on it's anti-static bag with memory, cpu, both power cables, power sw lead, power led and speaker plugged into the board. No luck.

Removed the RAM, no luck.

Removed the CPU, the damn CPU is stuck to the heat sink!!! How do I seperate them??????????

With the CPU removed, the board powered on and stayed on, but no beep codes.

Yes, I've tried it bypassing the UPS too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:49 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Quick note: Anti-static bags aren't very safe to run on dude. The reason they have Anti-static properties is because they are conductive! Ummm...don't do this again...you're making me cry already :cry: Use a piece of cardboard.

CPU may have thermal tape, ceramique, or the paste just dried on there. How do you take it off? Very carefully. It could be that your proc is overheating due to this paste breaking down and just plain not working anymore. These things being hot crash quick...often prior/during the POST in worst case scenerios. So, it may be worth getting it off...but let's leave that for last. Check everything else first, then fumble with that damn thing. I know they're hard to get off sometimes, and it's just a PITA. I know of nothing besides xylene based stuff like acetone or pure alcohol and a little TLC to get it off. I, luckily, have a spare socket I ripped off an old board that helps hold these if I run across a stuck one. But generally, I just soak it down in contact cleaner, then keep it wet with alcohol during the removal. I twist the CPU the other direction of the HS, but sometimes need a help of a screwdriver. Again, it sucks. Stuff save to use from Arctic Silver's site: "Use xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.), acetone, mineral spirits or high-purity isopropyl alcohol."

Having the CPU out and it running doesn't really rule out the memory. IIRC, the ram-check process needs the CPU to do the test. If I'm wrong, then the BIOS does the processing. I doubt it though as I believe the BIOS only has the instructions, not the processing unit. And it basically can't even attempt to POST without the CPU.

My first guess was that the Power Supply headed south, so I'm going to stick with that instinct. Don't have another to try, do ya?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:08 am 

That was the very first thing I did. I replaced the PSU with a brand new Antec 500 watt PSU. Oh yeah, no, I don't overclock any of my PC's. I've issued an RMA with ASUS. I can't be without a computer that long, so I'm going with the Abit IC7-MAX3 board. Man, the nice cables alone that come with that board is enough to put a smile on my face.

Expect to see my returned Asus P4C800E-Deluxe on eBay in the next few weeks (or however long it takes them to give me another board), unless someone wants it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:18 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

rstark wrote:
Expect to see my returned Asus P4C800E-Deluxe on eBay in the next few weeks (or however long it takes them to give me another board), unless someone wants it here.

Ahem...can someone like me have a shot at this thing first? Oh, and the Max3 is awesome. you won't be sorry. And the cables they include are just schweet! I never seen a black IDE cable until opening up that box. Now if they'd just start rounding the things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:25 am 

Yes, you posted your interest first, so you're first in line. PM me with an offer and your best shipping method is US Priority Mail since it's coming from Hawaii. Check for rates on zipcode 96813 (not my actual one, but one that's close). I'll give you any more information you want, including my address in a PM.

I'm sad to see this board go. I did a LOT of research before I purchased it and narrowed my decision down to the ASUS. I'm leaning towards the theory that my old PSU killed it. Won't know for sure until I hear back from ASUS. I'm going to mail it back to them tomorrow. Hope you can wait that long, I've heard it's 4 - 6 weeks instead of their standard 5 - 10 business days they tell you over the phone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:24 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I've had my Max3 since march and I've never had a problem. You should be very happy with it :)

Chumly, nice work snagging up that board :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:46 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

If it is your mobo, then maybe somehow your posts on your case came loose and shorted it :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:55 pm 

Dude easy way to remove cpu from a heatsink....a hairdryer. Just every so gently breeze that baby by a few times and viola! It will make the thermal paste a paste again instead of cement and you can separate them. Then clean your cpu with the product others mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:37 pm 

Okay, installed the IC7-MAX3 and IT DOES THE SAME DAMN THING!!! :evil: Finally figured out it was the power switch on the case. I can't F**KING BELIEVE IT. Man, I'm so pissed off right now. RMA'd my ASUS today, they'll test it and find nothing wrong. My computer is in peices upstairs and won't have the chance to put it all back together until this weekend. It serves me right for buying an off brand case just because it looks cool.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it. At least I know what to check first if this ever happens again. Should've known better. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:13 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

TankGirl wrote:
Dude easy way to remove cpu from a heatsink....a hairdryer. Just every so gently breeze that baby by a few times and viola! It will make the thermal paste a paste again instead of cement and you can separate them. Then clean your cpu with the product others mentioned.
Nice tip! When I actually own a hair drier, I'll try it out;) I have a heat gun, but I'm a bit scared to use that on anything like that.