Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Overclocking, never quite understood...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:54 am 

Ok, I clock my machines usually at what I get out of the auto clock functions available through the software. I just got an i5 4690 for the kid and placed it in the Maximus VII mobo...great bios, so many options to do nasty things. I've been building for years and I do get over clocking, I've just never done it much. I think this 4690 along with this board and the sweet temps I'm getting makes a real over clock worth a try. One simple problem...how? I mean is it just hours of tweaking clocks and voltages? Or is there a simple less time consuming way?

Right now under load the cpu fan may kick up a few rpm but nothing noticeable (I have it where it exhausts at my knee). Temps are in the 30's to low 40's using the cooler master hyper n520. In this Fractal case (love these cases if anyone is interested) that is positioned to the rear case fan so any heat is whisked away right where I can feel it, as well as one that exhausts out the top.

So if anyone want's to take on the challenge of helping me the specs are:

Intel i5 4690
Asus Maximus VII Hero
Corsair Vengeance 1600 4x4 16GB
EVGA GTX 660 Superclocked signature 2
Samsung EVO 840 120 GB ssd boot
WD 1TB storage
Corsair hx650W psu

Post subject: Re: Overclocking, never quite understood...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:36 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I just picked up the Maximus VII Hero and a 4th Gen 4770K CPU. I'll be putting it all together Friday. LOTS of backing up to do first!

I would also recommend that you find out the wattage pull on the new rig with stock settings just to get an idea of the PSU headroom you'll have. You SHOULD be fine. Something to keep in mind though.

From all I've been reading about with this mobo, the Autotune software does an outstanding job on its own. It will take me some time to learn the manual settings. I plan on using the Autotune capabilities in the UEFI BIOS to see what ASUS comes up with as a stable overclock, then burn in the CPU. I'll write down all of those settings, research the hell out of what each of them does and then, slowly start manual tweaking.

I did do some extensive searching looking for a "How To" on this mobo and didn't really turn up much. A couple of videos, but even then, they were bragging about how well the Autotune works. lol

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

The K series processors are for overclocking, the non-K variety.... not so much so.

All K series processors come with an unlocked multiplier, to overclock a K series, you simply increase the CPU multiplier till you reach a point where you're happy, or cannot go any further. If the latter happens first, then you can start getting into the nuts & bolts of overclocking, playing around with voltages, improving your CPU cooling performance, etc...

With the 4690 non-K variety, any overclocking will be strictly limited to Front Side Bus overclocking. It comes with a locked multiplier of 35x and FSB of 100MHz for a stock frequency of 3.5GHz. This can be beneficial to a degree, because the memory controller cannot utilize memory speeds that are faster than it's designed to handled, but FSB overclocking overclocks everything within the CPU, the core, the cache, the IGPU, the memory controller as well. If for example, you had high-end RAM, say DDR3-2133, then you could set the RAM in BIOS as DDR3-1600, & with the RAM tied to FSB, as you increase the FSB speed, you're also increasing the RAM speed, as well as the memory controller speed all on a 1:1 basis.

So, if for example, you increase the FSB to 115MHz, your CPU speed then goes up to 4.025GHz, and your RAM speed increases to DDR3-1833 (1840 technically), and the memory controller is now running at a maximum 1833 speed. Push it further till you reach DDR3-2133 speed on the RAM - 133MHz FSB (technically to reach DDR3-2133, FSB would need to be 133.33MHz) & your CPU is now at 4.65GHz. Unfortunately, this is only of real benefit to applications that are memory intensive. With a K series CPU, you would just need to set the multiplier at 46 or 47 to get 4.6GHz or 4.7GHz.

However, since your starting with DDR3-1600 RAM, you might need to set it to be independent of the FSB speed. Although Corsair Vengenace may overclock to around 1833 or possibly a little higher.

The biggest difference between the K & non-K overclocking top speed, is going to be the motherboard's ability to reach a relatively high FSB overclock for the non-K CPU, and that's where the K's usually win out, cause the 4690K can hit 4.7GHz with a good cooler (& theoretically so should its non-K twin), but not a lot of LGA1150 motherboards able to hit 130MHz or better on FSB as I understand it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:51 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There's another thing people don't really talk about, you need a Z series chipset to overclock, with some exceptions.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:09 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I recommend you find a forum full of people that use this exact chip AND mobo and read what they have to say!! Most of the work probably has already been done for you and you can lock into settings that are not only the fastest but the most stable.

I have my 8350 4.0ghz running at a very smooth 5.0ghz. I'm sure I could get it faster but I worry about stability and I am happy with what I have now. Good luck.

overclock.net is my personal favorite.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:05 am 

I used the tool and cranked it up a little just to see. It is my Son's computer and I don't feel like spending hours on it manually. It seems as though most of his favorite games have hit the limit of their engines, or compatibility with the hardware I bought. For instance, I have to go into precision x and drop the clock frequency of his gpu by -21mhz for Far Cry 3 and -34mhz for Dark Souls 2. He hasn't had any problems on stock clock speeds on other games though so I really don't get that. We put the EVGA GTX660 Superclocked Signature 2 video card it in. Another mystery that probably will never be solved.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice, I'll put that to good use.