Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Terminally Ill CPU?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:29 am 

Ok interesting question, My Son's old box developed a problem with his mouse (mx518?) not working, it would start and stop and hang all the time. It would work a standard 2 button mouse pretty much fine. It was running an old i7 920 that I recycled from the dell it came in and used it for 4 maybe 5 years at stock speeds...this eventually got worse and I finally rebuilt his box. The same mx 518 mouse now works just fine as it did when we swapped his to mine.

Now my box is doing the same thing. My mx510 that is old as a dinasaur is starting and stopping and hanging the same as his did on the old box. The whole gambit of trouble shooting results in the same no result.

I put his old mobo and cpu into an anti static bag when I rebuilt his rig, the other day I was going to ship it to a friend and I pulled it from that bag and noticed a fairly strong smell of electronic death. I pulled the cpu from the socket and gave it a whiff, think I found the reason for the smell. It was pretty strong when I gave the cpu a quick sniff.

That leads to my question, is it possible for the mouse acting up to be a symptom of a dying cpu? I mean I would expect something else but my computer is doing the exact same thing as his before it was rebuilt. I'm thinking about replacing my cpu but it is an 1150 socket and although you can get replacement cpu's it is older and they aren't all that cheap if you get a faster one. I found them around 300 bucks. That seems a little more than I would like to spend on a hunch (although my hunches over the years have been pretty accurate).

Maybe I'm nuts but I would like to hear what you guys think.

Post subject: Re: Terminally Ill CPU?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You would see general system instability before the mouse starts acting up if the CPU was dying. Chances are it's either the mouse or the USB port it's connected to. Or drivers.

CPUs are one of the most reliable things on the planet, strangely enough. But it makes sense, they have to be. Considering the billions of calculations they do a second, even having an error 0.001% of the time means 10,000 times on average, there will be an error (at 1 billion calculations a second)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:41 am 

Yeah, I would think so but I've tried everything, chipset drivers, usb, drivers, reinstalling the mouse, different usb port, and on my Son's box even changed the mobo...so the only thing I can figure out is the cpu...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:12 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Have you tried a different mouse?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:25 pm 

yes, the old standard 2 button mouse seems to have less errors than my 5 button mice. But this was the same as on my kids old box, eventually it started doing the same thing. After his rebuild bot this mouse and his old mouse work just fine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:32 pm 

I suppose I could try restoring my initial post windows install backup, I haven't tried that but I have changed some hardware since then. I lost my copy of win7, well it disappeared into the mess that is my house. I have used Magical Jelly Bean but it is a risk I'm not sure to take yet...maybe I should though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:40 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You can get an ISO image from here:

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/officia ... ads.12325/

Use the proper image to make a new disk.

Nasty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:44 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
I used to use a 518 (went through two of them, had the same kinds of problems, they have bad switches or something in them, I can't remember exactly. there is a fix that you can do yourself posted on line, I don't know where now, perhaps a youtube video. I decided to buy a new mouse instead.