Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: old compaq computer bootup problems??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:49 am 
Northwood
Northwood

hi all im tyring to fix a friend of a friend's computer and i need your help. now my friend's friend has an old compaq computer and here are the specs of it:

compaq computer model: 5020

Intel celeron 300mhz proc
64megs of pc100 sdram
2x AGP video
32xcdrom
56k modem

now my friend gave me this pos to fix and the other guy is paying me he said. pretty cool so i took a look at it. first i plug the compaq computer to my monitor and the big compaq letters come out. afterwards, the computer goes go to another black screen where it says:

"remove disk or other media."
"press any key to restart."

so i restarted the computer proceeded for the bios. i dont know if this f**king computer doesnt have any bios or what as i know that all computers have bios. correct me if im wrong here. i tried pressing F1, F2, delete, F5, and even F. nothing whats so ever. all i get at bootup is the black screen that says compaq and afterwards the black screen with the words above. hmmmm........

then i opened up the computer, clean some of the dust, and found the cmos jumper, i cleared cmos the computer and proceeded to bootup again. then the computer shows the big compaq sign again but it sits still in this screen for like 2min until it list somethin like:

disk1 :8gigs disk3:cdrom
checksum applied.................something something

then it proceeds to the black screen where it tells you to remove media again. this time i turned off the computer and got one of my floppy boot disk to see if the computer boots from it. i tried out my win9x bootable floppy and nothing at all. damn

my friend's friend wants me to install xp. i tried out my floppy cable on this compaq computer but the funny thing is that the computer didnt want to boot at all. no post no nothing. i was kinda scared at first because i thought i shorted something. then when i put the original floppy cable back, walla the computer booted fine and the both black screens appear again.

to me, it could definitely be the hdd but WHY THE F**K I CANT EVEN GET INTO A BIOS BULLCRAP. dammit

donnie, athlon11, logik, dudex, everyone help me make some money please. thanks all

Post subject: Re: old compaq computer bootup problems??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:06 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

keymaker should've wrote:
donnie, athlon11, logik, dudex, One4yu2c everyone help me make some money please. thanks all

:wink:

Try holding Alt-Ctrl-Esc when it shows you the Compaq logo.

Barring that, try F8 or the most likely one, F10, if you haven't already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:15 am 
Northwood
Northwood

im sorry one "your highnest" lol. anyway i tried every key, all the F1 through F12 and i get nothing at all. i even tried the delete key which is the key normally for the bios but still nothing. i also tried caps, alt, adn even shift. still nothing.

i will try your ctrl-alt-esc though and see what comes up. ctrl-alt-delete works though. when i press this the computer restarts. thanks the ONE.

keymaker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:18 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

keymaker wrote:
im sorry one "your highnest" lol.

i will try your ctrl-alt-esc though and see what comes up. ctrl-alt-delete works though. when i press this the computer restarts. thanks the ONE.

keymaker

I was just ribbing ya Key. Hope it works :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:21 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did he give you the restore cd-rom? Put the cd in the cd-rom and boot the machine. If it finds the cd and boots, do a restore. You have two options, to restore and to do a format and restore, try a restore first....if no go...try the format/restore option.

I just rebuilt a Compact over the weekend for a friend and had to use the format/restore option...he was full of viri. I also had to boot to the floppy and type fdisk /mbr to rebuild the master boot record, viri was there too. Everything went well, my friend is one happy camper.

That computer is too old for XP to run...if it does it will be as slow as molasses!

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:51 am 
Northwood
Northwood

no nastyman, the guy didnt give my friend crap. and then my friend gave it to me to fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:19 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Have you tried making a Boot CD and going that route?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:35 pm 
Team Badger
Team Badger

I used to have a 5020, what an infernal POS.

It SHOULD be F10 for the bios, be persistent. You may as well try everyother key on the keyboard. ESC might also work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 2:56 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

well thanks for all the help eveyrone specially you oneguy since you want to be recognize. lololol. well i got the computer to work and install xp on it. damn xp run so slow, the computer specs are on my first post so if you take a look at the specs, you can tell why xp runs so slow.

anyhow, F10 was the key for the bios and i finally got into the bios. i have to say that the bios of this computer are freaking so shitty and after fixing this computer, i feel like breaking it again since its so shitty. lololololol

i tried to find boot order setting but i coudnt find any. then i said "f**k it" and put the winxp cd in the cdrom. then i restarted the computer and walla, the computer booted to the windows xp cd. install xp and so far, the computer is working fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:20 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

keymaker wrote:
well thanks for all the help eveyrone specially you oneguy since you want to be recognize. lololol. well i got the computer to work and install xp on it...anyhow, F10 was the key for the bios and i finally got into the bios.

:wink: Really, I was just giving you a hard time. We've got a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful members, you could fill up a post naming them all :D

Anyway, I'm glad you got it worked out. Thank the stars for bootable CDs (or Bootable OS CDs in this case) eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:39 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

i put XP home on my moms PC for her and it is faster than 98/ME

her PC
white box
some asus mobo
PII 266
64mb pc100 ram
dimond stelth 4mb vid card

Post subject: Re: old compaq computer bootup problems??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:43 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

keymaker wrote:
hi all im tyring to fix a friend of a friend's computer and i need your help. now my friend's friend has an old compaq computer and here are the specs of it:

compaq computer model: 5020

Intel celeron 300mhz proc
64megs of pc100 sdram
2x AGP video
32xcdrom
56k modem

now my friend gave me this pos to fix and the other guy is paying me he said. pretty cool so i took a look at it. first i plug the compaq computer to my monitor and the big compaq letters come out. afterwards, the computer goes go to another black screen where it says:

"remove disk or other media."
"press any key to restart."

so i restarted the computer proceeded for the bios. i dont know if this f**king computer doesnt have any bios or what as i know that all computers have bios. correct me if im wrong here. i tried pressing F1, F2, delete, F5, and even F. nothing whats so ever. all i get at bootup is the black screen that says compaq and afterwards the black screen with the words above. hmmmm........

then i opened up the computer, clean some of the dust, and found the cmos jumper, i cleared cmos the computer and proceeded to bootup again. then the computer shows the big compaq sign again but it sits still in this screen for like 2min until it list somethin like:

disk1 :8gigs disk3:cdrom
checksum applied.................something something

then it proceeds to the black screen where it tells you to remove media again. this time i turned off the computer and got one of my floppy boot disk to see if the computer boots from it. i tried out my win9x bootable floppy and nothing at all. damn

my friend's friend wants me to install xp. i tried out my floppy cable on this compaq computer but the funny thing is that the computer didnt want to boot at all. no post no nothing. i was kinda scared at first because i thought i shorted something. then when i put the original floppy cable back, walla the computer booted fine and the both black screens appear again.

to me, it could definitely be the hdd but WHY THE F**K I CANT EVEN GET INTO A BIOS BULLCRAP. dammit

donnie, athlon11, logik, dudex, everyone help me make some money please. thanks all

The reason it is running so slow is because of the low RAM. Windows XP requires at least 128 MB of RAM to run barely. It could also be the CPU but since you got it running it must be enough (again barely lol).