Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Winxp Video/Audio Skips every 60 seconds, VERY WEIRD
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:43 am 

I have been having some major headaches with my Sager Laptop (runs a 3.0 ghz p4, 1 gig ram, 128 meg radeon 9000). Everytime I play a movie file (be it divx, mpeg, or DVD), the video and audio will skip/stutter very badly nearly every 60 seconds for about 1-2 seconds. The remaining 58 seconds has perfect playback. I have done a reformat and nothing changed. I am using the latest radeon drivers and have tried some earlier ones too but no luck. Once in awhile I will get really lucky and a video will play fine for about 20 minutes then do the major skipping ever 60 seconds after that. I have also watched task manager and the process "SYSTEM" jumps from about 2% cpu usage to about 20% cpu usage during the 1-2 seconds of skipping/stuttering. I know it's not a heating issue because my cpu temps remain fairly low during the entire time. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Winxp Video/Audio Skips every 60 seconds, VERY WEIRD
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:11 am 
Northwood
Northwood

Djinnmage wrote:
I have been having some major headaches with my Sager Laptop (runs a 3.0 ghz p4, 1 gig ram, 128 meg radeon 9000). Everytime I play a movie file (be it divx, mpeg, or DVD), the video and audio will skip/stutter very badly nearly every 60 seconds for about 1-2 seconds. The remaining 58 seconds has perfect playback. I have done a reformat and nothing changed. I am using the latest radeon drivers and have tried some earlier ones too but no luck. Once in awhile I will get really lucky and a video will play fine for about 20 minutes then do the major skipping ever 60 seconds after that. I have also watched task manager and the process "SYSTEM" jumps from about 2% cpu usage to about 20% cpu usage during the 1-2 seconds of skipping/stuttering. I know it's not a heating issue because my cpu temps remain fairly low during the entire time. Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

could the laptop have some hardware encoded feature for power saving? i say hardware because a format didn'dt solve your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:36 am 

Is the DMA turned on in Device Manager for the IDE controllers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:32 pm 

Yep, DMA is on and no, i can't find any hardware thing that is causing this. Someone suggested it could be with the directshow filters and I'm gonna try their suggestions tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:43 pm 

Are you sure you have the most current codecs? I don't just mean video, but audio as well. I used to have a similar issue, once I found the appropriate codec, it worked fine. Try looking for AC3 codec maybe?

Might not be your problem, but it's worth a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:24 am 

The problem seems to be fixed now. I downloaded this program called "Reclock" i believe. It basically sets a new clock to synchronize audio/video playback to the frame rate of the video file to prevent skipping. It looks like a lot of my problem came from the directshow filters of directx 9.0b. From what I can tell so far, everything is fine now while using this program.