Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HDD problems
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Hey all,

I'm trying to recover data for a director at work; it is his home PC hard dirve that is about 5 years old. Anyhow, the drive can't be found in the BIOS or the OS. I tried every jumper setting and still nothing

Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:42 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

also try replacing the cable. ive encountered problems like that also and it sometimes turned out to be a bad cable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:25 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

What's the make/model of the drive? 5 years ago sounds suspiciously like a IBM deathstar series...

listen to it when the computer powers up, make sure you can hear spinning within the drive and that it's receiving power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:33 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

put the jumpers back to where they were and put it as a primary on a secondary drive controller.

If it's still not recognizing, you're looking at getting some real professional help with data recovery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:28 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

A) I know its not the cable b/c I have it in my system and it is in a removable drive. I have a 120GB Samsung Drive in there for my backup and that works fine.

B) I forgot who asked but the drive is a Quantam AT Fireball Plus AS (40GB hard drive)

Right now I have it configured as a secondary Slave. I hear it click for 2-3 seconds and then nothing. I assume that it either stops spinning or is doing someting. I have 6 fans in my system so its a little nosie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:48 am 

Get it out of the removable rack and stick it right on the end of a good short non-rounded ATA cable. This will absolutely remove any possible glitch caused by fancy cables or drive racks (both have caused me problems with drives)

Also set the drive to either master or cable select and make certain it is the only unit on that cable. I have a Quantum-Maxtor (maxtor name, quantum style drive) 80gig drive and it does NOT play well with drives of any other make. (It also doesn't like external USB/firewire enclosures, but that's another beef). Your drive just might be as fussy as mine is.

You've got to eliminate all of the possible glitch variables that you can as part of the troubleshooting process.

<=T=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:31 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Flipper wrote:
A) I know its not the cable b/c I have it in my system and it is in a removable drive. I have a 120GB Samsung Drive in there for my backup and that works fine.

B) I forgot who asked but the drive is a Quantam AT Fireball Plus AS (40GB hard drive)

Right now I have it configured as a secondary Slave. I hear it click for 2-3 seconds and then nothing. I assume that it either stops spinning or is doing someting. I have 6 fans in my system so its a little nosie.

You can try running Handy Recovery 1.0 or 2.0 (trialware) to recover. If it is possible with these great apps it will find the HDD or give an option to scan it.

Handy Recovery 1.0 can be found at simtel.net and 2.0 is at www.handyrecovery.com