Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hard drive problems
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:50 am 

Ok, so i had this 80 gig hard drive and the other day it appeared to not be booting into windows. I tried time and time again to get windows working without formatting it. Needless to say none of it worked. I then formatted the hard drive, didn't work. I did a low level format, didn't work. And i even did a drive check. It said the drive was ok. Im not sure which to belive but I was wondering if there is any way that this could be anything but the hard drive. When the computer fails to boot it says no Boot device found. Also i can boot the hard drive but only with a boot disk with te boot.ini, ntldr, and the ntdetect files. Is it possiable this is a mother board issue. Im getting a new drive but i don't want to put a new hard drive in just to have the mother board kill it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:04 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

Could be the IDE cable, or the controller you hooked up to. Try the secondary port.

Also, try the drive on another computer.

Yes, it's possible that the motherboard is at fault, but highly unlikely to the point I wouldn't worry about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:43 am 
Northwood
Northwood

could be a bad ide cable. i had problems like this before too and sometimes it turned out just be a bad cable. replace the ide cable and now the hdd works great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:29 am 

Try checking the Molex connector. I've had the female pins in a molex connector come loose, and give me problems. try replacing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:56 am 

I got a new drive and its working. At what point in time should i worry about cooling it. The drive is a 250GB hard drive 7200rpm with an ATA133 interface. It was just warm to the touch thing morning and made me think of cooling it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 1:06 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Trainlogan wrote:
I got a new drive and its working. At what point in time should i worry about cooling it. The drive is a 250GB hard drive 7200rpm with an ATA133 interface. It was just warm to the touch thing morning and made me think of cooling it?
Up to you. It's hard to find a drive that ISN'T warm to the touch.

Cooling it may not be a bad idea no matter what drive you have. Especially now that they're lowering the warranty to one year around the block. But look to spending around $40 for an active cooler. Here's some HDD coolers One is passive, but remember that air has to move around it to be of any real effectiveness.

I still don't cool them other than a simple fan that blows over them. That's enough for me. I've got one big 120mm fan blowing over each pair of drives in the stacker, and my big chieftec dragon has one 80mm for each pair. No failures yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:28 am 

Thanks that just what i was wondering.