Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: IE browser problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:02 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am online with Netscape and when I first started I was able to browse with IE and mozilla firefox at the same time. I believe that after I installed Norton Firewall that I was unable to use IE. Now I cannot use Windows Update to see what my OS needs. Upon gettting online IE gives "cannot find server" , "page not found", "DNS error'. Firefox will give me API errors. I have tried numerous settings in Interner options to no avail. I have contacted Netscape help and have had no luck with their suggestions such as deleting files and cookies stored on the browser. The only site that IE will go to is a GRC site having to do with a DCOM utility I downloaded. I messed with the ultiility's settings to no avail. I have both Adware and Spybot Search and Destroy and have removed all spyware and run Norton Antivirus and found no viruses. My installation of WINxp is only a month old. :( Please help turn my tears of sorrow become tears of joy.

Post subject: Re: IE browser problem
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:33 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

joetechno wrote:
I am online with Netscape and when I first started I was able to browse with IE and mozilla firefox at the same time. I believe that after I installed Norton Firewall that I was unable to use IE. Now I cannot use Windows Update to see what my OS needs. Upon gettting online IE gives "cannot find server" , "page not found", "DNS error'. Firefox will give me API errors. I have tried numerous settings in Interner options to no avail. I have contacted Netscape help and have had no luck with their suggestions such as deleting files and cookies stored on the browser. The only site that IE will go to is a GRC site having to do with a DCOM utility I downloaded. I messed with the ultiility's settings to no avail. I have both Adware and Spybot Search and Destroy and have removed all spyware and run Norton Antivirus and found no viruses. My installation of WINxp is only a month old. :( Please help turn my tears of sorrow become tears of joy.

Scan using Housecall (housecall.trendmicro.com) and see if it finds any virii. Also check the log file for your firewall and see if any ports are being blocked.

I have heard that FireFox if unstable and it is in testing. Try running the full Mozilla browser. It has been officially released and should be stable. You can try doing a reinstall of IE. If you go into Add/Remove and Windows Components. You will find IE in there. Uncheck it, restart the computer, go back in recheck it and make sure you have the XP CD. This will force XP to completely reinstall the files for IE from the CD.

Good luck.