Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Good backup program for drivers...?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:52 am 

Not sure which forum is the best to post this question in, so I've posted it in the Windows Parlor too.

I am a freelance computer serviceman, and one thing I've noticed is A LOT of people have Compaqs, and those people also threw their driver disks out the window as soon as they got the computer because they never have them. I usually just write down their machine numbers and look at the existing driver's names, then go to Driverguide or Google and search for them; but that's tedious and makes me drive back to their house after I've downloaded their drivers and burned them (waste of a CD too :-/)

I saw Driverguide.com has a free trial thing, but I was wondering if that's any good? Also I was wondering if anyone knew of a free program instead of a trial, or if the trial will work fine for just a one time back up kind of thing.

I keep all of my essential programs on a disc and take it with me in my tool kit, and I think this will about complete my collection.

Thanks in advance,
Snoz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:58 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I don't know if they still do it or what it costs if anything, but 4+ years ago when I was working as a tech, compaq used to send out copies of their recovery cd's. We had a whole 3 inch binder full of them, sorted by model number. Of course we always seemed to be missing the exact one we needed :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:02 pm 

Yeah that's an option as well, I just had to order a new set of Recovery CD's for a woman the other day. The thing is you'll talk to about 3 people from Indonesia before you ever talk to someone who speaks English as their native language.

After that, you'll be connected to the wrong department and put on hold forever.

Then they'll charge you 35 dollars for new CDs.

I think it's a lot easier to just have a little backup program I can carry with me and get the job done quick :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:00 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

compaqs are pieces of sh*t. i just fix one and i am a freelance computer technician as well. not only that but i have experience in the IT field but most of the computers i worked with were not compaq, thank god.

well i just fix this person's old compaq 5020 computer and i have to say that the computers were shitty. i remember back then when the site windrivers.com i think was free but now its not. i used to get my drivers there all the time and the site was really good.

i know that this is not what you are asking for but if you want a good utility site, check out www.majorgeeks.com you can get alot of stuff from here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:09 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I'm not so sure I'd waste even more time with driverguide in reguards to OEM components.

Understand, that place is fine for that one obscure peice of hardware you have, but I'd really be going back to compaq/hp for drivers for these things.

There's probably already drivers on there...depending on which OS they're running would determine where they're at. Usually in 2000/XP you'll find these in the i386 directory the restore program created. 9x systems should have these things in a cabs directory.