Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HD Backup Speeds Question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:17 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

My pc is stricken with only USB 2.0 and one eSATA port. In need of a 3TB external just to backup what I have and future downloads.

I'm reading the reviews from Staples.com and some are saying these large data transfers on USB 2.0 take over a day to perform and some don't even pass the verification test.

I found one 3TB Seagate that connects to my router so now we are talking LAN speeds as opposed to USB 2.0.

My LAN speed is showing 1Gb/s which I believe transfers into about 100MB/s give or take. Not sure, can anyone confirm if I buy/use this HD router how long it will take to transfer say 2TB of data onto it? Been looking for a HD that has an eSATA connection but my family member is trying to purchase this for me locally.....like with Staples or Best Buy. Obviously you can buy anything over the internet. Also if it craps out on me it's a lot easier to return if they buy it locally. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: HD Backup Speeds Question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:50 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

File transfer depends on many factors, the biggest impact is how many files you have. The more files you have, the longer it takes.

Post subject: Re: HD Backup Speeds Question
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:28 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Should have thought of this earlier.......I'm getting a USB 3.0 PCIe adapter. They are cheap so it's all about getting a name brand.

Western Digital makes one that has 150 great reviews over on Amazon. Now I am not limited to externals with eSATA or whatever, most come with USB 3.0 as standard.