Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Graphic card not function
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 am 

Hello everyone,

Wednesday, while playing game, CPU fan and casing fan suddenly stop spinning. Then processor temperature raised up and pc auto shut down. After restart, CPU fan and casing fan still not spinning. But after i rotate the CPU fan with finger, it continue to spin again. Then i continue play game, without problem for that day. Casing fan remain not spinning until now.

Thursday, turned on my computer, nothing is display on monitor with my nvidia graphic card, but i can hear the music when my pc enter windows. Graphic card fan is spinning. Then i switch to using motherboard built-in graphic and the monitor can display but not every time. Some time even built-in graphic also fail to display when i turned on my computer. Once the built-in graphic successfully display, it can continue to displaying without problem. Graphic card remain fail to display until now. No graphic artifacts was observed before that. What happen to my pc?

Any suggestion will be appreciate.

Post subject: Re: Graphic card not function
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:31 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

If you can get your PC up and running I would install HWMonitor and monitor your PSU outputs. I suspect your PSU is going bad for so many things to be failing.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:50 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I would replace the fan on the CPU before you turn the machine back on. Then listen to Fascist and replace the psu with a known good psu, borrow a friends if you don't have an extra.

You can check the voltages in the BIOS, they should be 12, 5 and 3 volts plus or minus 5%, If they are beyond the mean voltage altogether, way beyond the 5% replace the psu.

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:14 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Actually, I would replace both the case fan and the CPU fan before doing anything else. I have seen a failing case fan cause a motherboard's northbridge chipset overheat and cause the motherboard to malfunction (and cause even the onboard video to die) to the point of not being able to post successfully.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:18 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If the fan ceasing to work causes overheating that quickly, I'm surprised that the chip wasn't blazing hot to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:58 pm 

How can i check the voltages in the BIOS?
I have used several hardware monitor software to check the PSU voltage, 3V and 5V rails look good.

But 12V rail seem like deviated quite a lot.

SpeedFan: 10.72V
SensorsView: 10.70V
HWMonitor: 12.992V

Can these readings confirm that i have a failing PSU? But it look like HWMonitor is giving higher voltage reading.

I'm surprise that a failed casing fan can affect the motherboard, i thought it just for air circulation. I think i better turn off my computer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:01 am 

I have replaced a new PSU, and so far the graphic card and CPU fan are working well. Thank you for the advice, you guys are awesome.