Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Are my temps bad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:04 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

system fan is reporting my gpu going above 60c the little icon is of fire... im sure this is bad... its a evga geforce gtx 560ti superclocked... its hella lound when its in full ramp.. but i purchased and paid alot of money so that i could have a safe running card.. is this card safe? or should i replace now before it burns out..

i have to buy a whole new one because evga will only replace this card for like 30 days.. their customer service is honestly not as good as i have heard.

Post subject: Re: Are my temps bad
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:08 am 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard of GPUs going into the 80 degrees Celsius range without being permanently damaged (although it'll be slower at that temp). I'm pretty sure 60 degrees is within the safe operating range of the GPU, but contact EVGA and simply ask to make sure. Sound like a worried customer and they'll probably help you (something like "Hi, I'm seeing temperature readings of more than 60 degrees Celsius, is that normal for the card I have?")

Alternatively, more experienced people on the MaxPC forums might just straight up answer your question, and you wouldn't need to contact EVGA. That's just in case no one has a definite answer for you :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:42 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

60C idle isn't a good sign. 60C under heavy load is "I wish I had those temps".

If it's idling at 60C, you might want to check out what's going on. Does your case have enough ventilation? Is there a background task using the GPU? etc. etc.

Or you can get a second opinion. It sounds like you're using SpeedFan. I stopped using it because a temperature monitoring software that gives me a false reading (too many times I've had it give me some sensor with a temperature of 127C) is kind of worrisome. I'd opt for http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Actually my gpu currently is sitting at 40C and i posted about the 60C thing right after doing heavy gaming.. so if those are decent temps then i guess im good.