Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: PC hang-ups/glitches
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:37 am 

I need help with what appears to be a software prob. I have a custom PC that I literally threw together in a day.

Mobo - Gigabyte GA-7n400 Pro2
CPU - AMD Athlon XP +2500
RAM - 512MB PC 2700 DDR
Vid - nVidia GeForce4 Ti 4600 128MB
and all the other usual stuff...DVD-/+R/RW CD-R/RW Floppy/Card Reader Combo.

My problem is that if any program that accesses any mem or uses any percentage of the CPU my computer hangs/lags for a second and makes a beep as if notifying me that it's doing so. I've watched the Task Manager several times while running various programs and it seems to do this when the program and "System Idle Process" equal out to 100. I have tried a fresh install of XP Pro and am now having the same problem in Win2k Pro. I've never seen this in all my years as a tech and I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:51 am 
Northwood
Northwood

hmmmm....pretty weird indeed. see if its a hardware problem. test your ram out and try booting into windows and running the programs that you usually run with one ram at a time. see if the problem narrows down to your ram.

have you installed any softwares recently? im thinking also that its a software conflict but i dont see how could that be. hmmm... try testing out the ram and see what goes on. also if you have a anti-virus program, update to the latest virus definition and then run your anti-virus program. if you dont have one i recommend AVG from www.grisoft.com i use it and it works well. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:58 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

keymaker wrote:
hmmmm....pretty weird indeed. see if its a hardware problem. test your ram out and try booting into windows and running the programs that you usually run with one ram at a time. see if the problem narrows down to your ram.

have you installed any softwares recently? im thinking also that its a software conflict but i dont see how could that be. hmmm... try testing out the ram and see what goes on. also if you have a anti-virus program, update to the latest virus definition and then run your anti-virus program. if you dont have one i recommend AVG from www.grisoft.com i use it and it works well. good luck

I would also recommend downloading Ad-Aware (www.lavasoft.de), updating it, and scanning with. Scan with smart scan first then select the drives u want to scan. 2 different scans. Then scan with housecall at housecall.trendmicro.com.

It could be bad RAM so go online and find a RAM or system diagonistic application. They ususally ask you to create a boot disk. It could also be a bad or damaged CPU. It is not uncommon that they come bad out of the factory or get damaged during shipping. Probably about 5-10% of all processors get to the store bad.