Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sound Problems
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:34 am 

Suddenly my sound does not work...

I am running Windows XP, with a sound blaster audigy. I had sound before i moved my computer, but after I moved it, I started having problems. The first symptom was that whenever i tried to play a game it crashed. Removed sound card the game would work fine, just without sound.

So far i have checked for driver conflicts and have found none, i did a system restore and that didnt fix anything, and I have tried multiple PCI slots, which still leaves me with no sound. In a last ditch effort, I tried a new sound card(audigy 2) and i am having the same problem.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similiar problem or knew how to fix.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:49 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

Weird that it would happen after a physical move.

I tend to think hardware because the only applicable change you mentioned was physical location, there would be no reason for anything to have changed OS or driver-wise...

Like maybe something got jostled and shorted the card out or something...

Does the POST diplay show an IRQ assigned to the card?

Post subject: Re: Sound Problems
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:16 am 
Northwood
Northwood

slackjr wrote:
Suddenly my sound does not work...

I am running Windows XP, with a sound blaster audigy. I had sound before i moved my computer, but after I moved it, I started having problems. The first symptom was that whenever i tried to play a game it crashed. Removed sound card the game would work fine, just without sound.

So far i have checked for driver conflicts and have found none, i did a system restore and that didnt fix anything, and I have tried multiple PCI slots, which still leaves me with no sound. In a last ditch effort, I tried a new sound card(audigy 2) and i am having the same problem.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similiar problem or knew how to fix.

Thanks,

your speakers working? could also be some mute setting you had in Windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:54 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Check to make sure all your hardware is mounted properly, not shorting, your HSF is still making solid contact with the CPU, check all cables, etc.

I would also check to make sure your speakers are all connected properly, but you said the system crashes, so I kind of doubt thats your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:06 am 

well since i installed the New sound card the system doesnt crash anymore, it just doesnt produce any sound.

I checked bios and it assigns the IRQs automatically. I tried manually assigning one, and i still didnt have anysound.

Nothing on the system is muted and the speakers are connected correctly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:20 am 
Willamette
Willamette

slackjr wrote:
well since i installed the New sound card the system doesnt crash anymore, it just doesnt produce any sound.

I checked bios and it assigns the IRQs automatically. I tried manually assigning one, and i still didnt have anysound.

Nothing on the system is muted and the speakers are connected correctly.

Did sound work out of game? Or was it just loading up a game that would crash the computer/ not produce any sound?

Try uninstalling everything regarding all sound cards. You may have some drivers still installed and allocating resources to a card that isn't there.

This is a strange case, but it sounds like physical failure of a device (obviously not sound card since the new one doesn't work, either) as opposed to misconfiguration.

If you have other computers at your disposal try testing the sound cards just to make sure they work. Hope you have some luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:35 am 

well i tested the sound card out on a different machine and it worked. Then to ensure there werent any driver conflicts i reformatted and still no sound....

This whole thing is blowing my mind and pissing me off at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:42 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Hmmm, I hate to say this, but it almost sounds like your mobo's PCI slots are shot...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:50 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

slackjr wrote:
well i tested the sound card out on a different machine and it worked. Then to ensure there werent any driver conflicts i reformatted and still no sound....

Have you tried a different set of speaker and make sure they are plugged into the correct jack in the back of the sound card.

Also go into Control Panel and go into the Sound and Audio Devices to make sure they are being seen and recognized. Also check the little sound icon by the clock and make sure nothing is muted within there by accident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:27 am 

baldeagle wrote:
slackjr wrote:

Have you tried a different set of speaker and make sure they are plugged into the correct jack in the back of the sound card.

Also go into Control Panel and go into the Sound and Audio Devices to make sure they are being seen and recognized. Also check the little sound icon by the clock and make sure nothing is muted within there by accident.

tried two different sets of speakers, including different wires. Tried using both digital and analog. Windows recognizes the sound card and detects no problems. Creatives diagnostic checks out 100% ok.. but still no sound. Nothing is muted....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:28 am 

SomeGuy wrote:
Hmmm, I hate to say this, but it almost sounds like your mobo's PCI slots are shot...

the only thing i can say to refute this is that my eithernet card works fine in any of the slots and windows recognizes the audio card is there and detects no problems. But this is also the direction im leaning in because i really cant explain why I am having the trouble that i am having.....