Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My computer randomly restarts after 30 or so minutes
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:11 am 

I just built a computer. My commputer randomyl restarts after 30 or so minutes without warning. This happens no mater what application I use. I even formatted the drive and did a fresh windows 2000 install! I am also getting an error that says "svchost is causing errors and...." Please assist me. If it helps here are my system specs:

Biostar M7NCD MOTHERBOARD
AMD ATHLON XP 2400+
ATI RADEON 9600 PRO
KINGSTON 512MB PC-3200 VALUE RAM
SOUND BLASTER LIVE
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 80GB 4MB CACHE 7200RPM
400W thermaltake power supply

Post subject: Possible problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:51 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Since you just buit this rig it could be almost any part. I don't think its software related since you did a fresh install even though the error message is coming up.

The first thing I would do is check in the BIOS for two things. 1) System temp. See how hot the temps are. Anything nearing 60 I would be concerned. Actually I would be concerned if the temps were approaching 40 or higher for the CPU not for shut downs but for the life of the machine.

2) The 2nd thing I would check in the BIOS is a setting for shut downs. You may have it set to turn off after a half hour or so check the following:

AC PWR Loss Restart
Suspend Mode
HDD Power Down

(Names may differ but check for things like that)

It could be memory related so if you have 2 chips try leave one out and see if that is the issue. If not, switch slots and try again. Keep in mind it could be the slot itself. Doubtfull though.

Last thing could be the power supply itslef, which most likely is the issue. Go to CompUSA and get a power supply tester for $15 before you do any of this stuff and test it. You'll know if 2 min.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:48 pm 

To me this sounds like a cooling problem, as you have a good power supply, and the computer reboots at around the same time, no matter what program you are using.

Could be the heatsink or heatsink fan for your cpu arnt good enough, or that the airflow in your case is not good enough. Check the temperatures of your cpu and mobo in your bios, or with a monitering program in windows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 3:13 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

you can also try removing all the computer parts outside of the case and reseat them over again. reseat your cpu and like the other post said, try testing out the ram. you can download a program called memtest86 in www.majorgeeks.com and test your ram to see if one of them is flaky. cooling issues could be it also and check your bios temps to see if that is the case.

for system cooling, anything close to 40c is not good. for cpu, hitting close to 60c is not good either. it could also be your videocard drivers and you can try changing them if you havent already. good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:05 pm 

Did you remember to use thermal paste?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:26 pm 

hmmm, if windows is automatically restating on you its prolly producing an error then rebooting. To make it stop rebooting so you can get the details on the error go to system properties (right-click and choose properties on the my computer icon), clcik on the advanced tab then click on the settings button under startup and recovery. uncheck the box beside 'Automatically restart' under the system failure area. next time yer system fails it just drop you to a screen with the error message rather than just restarting again. This won't help if its a hardware failure, but hopefully it isn;t and this'll give you a place to start.