Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: RAID Quiry
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:11 am 

Seems I was thumbing through a recent backissue and it made claim that the pci raid card was maxed out at three drives.
Indicating performance suffered upon adding the fourth drive, because the pci port was too small to handle the data capabilities of all four at once.

If correct, since I have the pci raid card (Fastrax tx) mentioned, with four drives in 0+1, I was wondering, how does one array three drives?

Is it possible to stripe across three drives?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:37 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

You could stripe as many drives as you want if the card supports it. With 3 drives you could also do RAID5 which is a stripe with 2 drives and the thrid drive used for parity. There are many different RAID arrays however the card needs to support them if you want to use them, and only the expensive ones handle some of the obscure arrays.

Great explanations on the various RAID arrays here.

Post subject: Re: RAID Quiry
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:59 pm 

mandos of TORC wrote:
Seems I was thumbing through a recent backissue and it made claim that the pci raid card was maxed out at three drives.
Indicating performance suffered upon adding the fourth drive, because the pci port was too small to handle the data capabilities of all four at once.

If correct, since I have the pci raid card (Fastrax tx) mentioned, with four drives in 0+1, I was wondering, how does one array three drives?

Is it possible to stripe across three drives?

If I recall correctly, the article you are talking about had all the drives as raid 0. You have 2 drives as raid 0, and 2 drives as raid 1, so I dont believe you are bottle necked like they were in the article moving from 3 to 4 drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:23 pm 

So, with the Promise FastTrak TX100 TX (2 Channel) RAID card, and three Western Digital Caviar SE 80 Gig HD's on a striped array, I could have a 240 Gig Stripe and, even more unreal I/O speeds for my aplications (games), than having a four drive 0+1 Array?
:shock:
This would mean no redundancy (no mirror), but it's just games and web surfing I use the computer for, not missions of state or national security.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 5:57 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

mandos of TORC wrote:
So, with the Promise FastTrak TX100 TX (2 Channel) RAID card, and three Western Digital Caviar SE 80 Gig HD's on a striped array, I could have a 240 Gig Stripe and, even more unreal I/O speeds for my aplications (games), than having a four drive 0+1 Array?
:shock:
This would mean no redundancy (no mirror), but it's just games and web surfing I use the computer for, not missions of state or national security.

Yes, you'd have 3 drive acting as 1 instead of 2 RAID 1 arrays acting as 1 drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:39 am 

Well then, since the card I have has only two channels, would having to connect two drives to one of them, and the third to a separate channel, create an 'imbalance', bottleneck, or other problem?
Two drives piped into one channel seems like it might be less effective than one drive per channel.
The port is unidirectional is it not, meaning that it can input or output, but not both at the same time.
One drive would have free reign, the other two would be waiting turns. it seems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:02 am 
INFINITE vCORE
INFINITE vCORE

2 drives per cable is not recommended in a setup like you describe, per the nature of IDE and it's master /slave system...

It may actually perform worse in a lot of situations as a simple two drive PriMaster/SecMaster stripe

And I wouldn't put any optical drives on those cables either, but on a seperate controller.

I only bother to run RAID because I have enough controllers to run everything as Master.