Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cooling problems on a PNY TI4200 card
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:07 pm 

I had posted this in another area but didn't recieve any replies, so I thought I would post it here.

I bought the PNY TI 4200 AGP card about two years ago, knowing I wanted really good raphics but not really knowing (at the time what was really a good card) what kind of games I would be using it for. I bout it for about $150 on 9/9/02 and since then it's died twice. Once last year in the summer and again a month ago. Both times I had PNY send me a new card and they also said they tested it for gaming, because that's what I've been getting into lately "Call of Duty" for one.

Well not more than about two weeks ago the card started to have issues again, the screen started having numerous horizontal lines through it as well as some flickering. I've already spent half of a day cleaning any and all dust and stuff out of the computer as well as neating up the cable's and cords that have looked like a nest (still does sort of, though not so much). I've even started using my airconditioning in my apartment when I've had the computer on...just to make sure, because my apartment stay unforuntly warm. And this all worked for about a day...but I still seem to be at ground zero and PNY has said that they verified the card before sending it out the last time, that there wouldn't be any issues (though I don't know if they checked heat or not).

I've been looking into various video/chipset coolers...one of which can be found here http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/mercha ... Code=51036 I just wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions, or know of any other products.

Also my TI4200 is 64MB DDR AGP 8X and does include a fan, and small heatsinks...I think, as well as DVI and S-Video.

The specs on my computer are:
P4 2.54
512MB DDR
Aprox 4 fans
420 Watt Power supply
Intel motherboard D845PEBT2
Audigy Sound Blaster
two optical, one hard, and one floppy drive.

PLEASE HELP!!! I want to use my "REALLY GOOD" computer again...oh and please don't anyone recommend my getting a new card...I can't afford it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:27 pm 

well, its seems as though you've covered pretty much everthing. As for the cooling, if your overclocking, turn it back down. to be sure that its not a cooling problem, try placing your computer as near as possible to a cooling vent and running with the case open. if you have a heavy duty fan (like a really really big one, not a 80mm case fan), place it so that it blows directly into the case (sounds like overkill, but you want to be sure that coolings not the problem).

One last thing: Of you've ever taken the heatsink off of your card for any reason, maybe to replace it, or maybe to see what the core looked like, be sure that you have put more thermal paste on there.

If you still have the problem after that, you can be fairly certain that cooling is not the issue. I cant think of any reasons that the card would have this problem except that your card is just dying. if PNY (or whoever you said was the manufacturer) says that your card is good, but you still have problems, try contacting the people you bought it from. If you ordered it from newegg, or a place with a good reputation, contact them and see if they will replace it.

*edit*
reinstall your drivers. use a good uninstall utility to be sure that you have completely removed all traces of the drivers, and reinstall the latest nVidia drivers. also head over to www.windowsupdate.com to be sure that you havent missed any important updates. While we're on the subject, make sure the games you've tried are up to date. Call of Duty 1.0 had some graphics problems, make sure you've got the patches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:23 pm 

Well as I had mentioned...I've owned for two years, and have sent into PNY twice. When it started going bad this time, it had only been two weeks since I had received it back this last time.

As far as overclocking...never been done. I've also never taken the card apart...as far as being curious or anything. Sounds like I'll have to get that chipset cooler after all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:49 pm 

maybe u can try updating ur chipset drivers or install the card in another system to check for compatibility. for VGA coolers nothing beats zalman's Zm80C-Hp.
http://tinyurl.com/5azjs