Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A High Tech Bandwidth Controller?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:45 pm 

My neighbor and I both have bellsouth DSL, with a combined badnwidth of about 4.5mbps. We want to try and combine our bandwidth so that when one of us is not using the internet, the other can take advantage of the other's bandwidth.

for example: I'm playing counter-strike, using ~10KBps, and hes downloading a game demo, he should be able to get around 400KBps., whereas alone, he would get around 150KBps.

Relating to the above question, i'm not talking about some kind of bellsouth deal, i'm talking about connecting to eachothers networks via wireless or ethernet strung across the yard

i have another semi related question. is there a *program* (not a hardware/firmware update, etc for routers) that will allow me to specify the amount of bandwidth available to a certain process and/or machine? Apply the same idea above to a network... I can play CS and download at almost full speed at the same time, my sister can download.

any help on any of these questions is appreciated, but i'm really more interested in the question of sharing bandwidth.[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:07 pm 

u sure know how to extract every bit of juice out uf ur money. but for combining the bandwidth of two separate dsl connections, it's either way too hard or possible.
say ur neighbor wants to use ur extra bandwidth to download something when u r not using the internet. he first has to find a download manager that combines the data that comes from both of the internet connections across a wireless network. and the download manager also has to tackle with the complicated TCP/IP configs and things like that. while it is possible to write a piece of software like that, i have found none. and that's just about downloading. browser and e-mail is another story. so until u can convince some programmer to make a new software that does it, u r out of luck.
As for ur semi-related problem, flip ur MaxPc issues and find the story about a router they reviewed. it's from Linksys and has it's firmware in open source format. u can risk updating the firmware to control bandwidth for diff programs, but that does not seem to fit ur taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:15 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Couldn't you just use a router PC with windows XP and bridge the connecitons? Then just set that computer to share the internet and connect it to a real router or switch. You would need three NIC connections....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:10 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

a friend of mine has a router that has 2 WAN ports, he had both Cable and DSL, and hooked them both up to that router and it "merged" the 2 connections. i forget the brand of the router, but it was wired and pretty expensive ($250 i think he said), so a wireless 1 would probly be very expensive. but if ur houses were close, u could just do it with some cat5 run between the houses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:05 pm 

Yeah, i knew about the router that could do the firmware updates and stuff, thats why i said "nothing about hardware/firmware updates for routers, etc." But I think i'll try using the PC router solution. I need a PC router anyway...
Thanx for all the help!