Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows 98 and PS/2 mouse error code 24
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:48 pm 

Ok I've got another one that's slightly stumping me. A client has an old Win98SE computer at home that he and his wife just use to surf the web. Its an old system with a serial keyboard connector and a PS/2 mouse connection. They have a serial keyboard and were running an old Microsoft optical USB mouse with a USB to PS/2 adpater on it perfectly.

Here's the problem. They just bought a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo. They discovered they can't use the wireless keyboard because of their serial port so they decide to just install the drivers for the mouse. After doing so, the system now comes up with an error about not being able to find a PS/2 mouse along with an error code 24.

Nothing else has been touched, change or modified. I tried uninstalling the Logitech drivers from the Add/Remove panel and instead of unistalling it says "Please insert CD to install software" - it doesn't seem to be willing to run the uninstall routine. So I tried to install the mouse drivers again and then unistall them. Doesn't help. Never gives you an option to uninstall. Logitech's website has some routines to manually unistall everything by going through the registry, but without any access to any pointer device it's a little difficult.

Same error if you boot into safe mode. And the system doesn't have any USB ports.

Any help on this??

Thanks,
Dreamawake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:07 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Have you tried using the uninstall software option from within start/settings/control panel/add-remove programs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:13 am 

some wireless mouses cannot be used in older versions of windows (9x)

for instance the Microsoft wireless mouse can only be used with XP SP1.

just a thought though, i am not too familiar with logitech products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:30 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Logitech wireless keyboards are supported by windows 98.

This is the problem you are describing, correct? http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... bContent=1

I think that a problem might be incomplete drivers. I believe logitech sells the keyboard/mouse combos to be installed together. Try installing the keyboard as well but just connect the mouse. See if this works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:05 am 

As for the answers guys -

The uninstall software option in the ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS is not available as when you try to do that it just prompts you to install the software all over again.

I already tried installing ALL the drivers for the keyboard AND mouse. Yes the article from Microsoft is what is happenening however this board does not have any USB ports and the software now can't be unistalled. I am a bit at a loss.

Any other ideas??

Post subject: Re: Windows 98 and PS/2 mouse error code 24
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:06 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

dreamawake wrote:
Nothing else has been touched, change or modified. I tried uninstalling the Logitech drivers from the Add/Remove panel and instead of unistalling it says "Please insert CD to install software" - it doesn't seem to be willing to run the uninstall routine. So I tried to install the mouse drivers again and then unistall them. Doesn't help. Never gives you an option to uninstall. Logitech's website has some routines to manually unistall everything by going through the registry, but without any access to any pointer device it's a little difficult.

this may sound stupid but it has worked for me before, download the latest set of drivers and install them, then try uninstalling...sometimes the software on the CD is really old and buggy.

if you can, try talking them into a usb pci card(the usb 1.1 cards can be had for cheap)