Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Disc drive Malfunctioning.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:08 am 

On my old ass IBM think pad t42 the optical drive has suddenly quit working and not just in windows either also in Linux i think that the on-board firmware for the drive needs re-flashed any idea? Also any tools that could help me re-flash the firmware this thing is ancient the only reason i keep it around is for some older games I run, which it is currently useless with out a disc drive for the most part. It started with DVDs then went to CD's i will update this post with the drive model number and manufacturer tomorrow.

Post subject: Re: Disc drive Malfunctioning.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Firmware suddenly going bad on a part is very unlikely, and since they rarely need updating, I wouldn't be surprised if firmware on optical drives are ROMs. If you can find the manufacturer, it wouldn't hurt to check if there's a diagnostic tool. However, at the same token, it might be easier to go to your local brick and mortar electronics shop and buy a portable drive. They're around $30.

But I could be wrong, the firmware could exist on flash in an MCU and for some reason the lock on it doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:54 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

LatiosXT wrote:
Firmware suddenly going bad on a part is very unlikely, and since they rarely need updating,

Ditto....unless there's some piece of info that would make you automatically leap to that conclusion...like you tried some firmware and it hiosed evyerthing...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:59 am 

search a little for you you can get a new one for $14.50 on ebay buy it now and us only here is the link http://www.ebay.com/sch/CD-DVD-Bluray-D ... =1&_sop=15