Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A few questions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:02 pm 

Question 1. I would like to know how to fix my display resolution problem that forces a number of the games i play in a little box in the center of the screen with black borders to a full screen that they used to be in. I have also tried the different resolutions and they don't always work. I play visual novels on my laptop since they don't require a whole crap load of specs.

My laptop specs are CPU i3 M 370 @2.40ghz, RAM. 4 gigs, OS. windows 7 64bit home with sp1. With a pathetic intergrated gpu.
My max resolution is 1366 x 768.

Question 2. How can i fix the problem that some webpages have when displaying pictures is a red X in the top left corner instead of the picture, i know that some pictures are hosted on different sites so that resolves one possibility of the red X.

Question 3. Is there a way to select more then one folder that are not next to each other to move somewhere else.

Post subject: Re: A few questions
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:50 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
Question 1. I would like to know how to fix my display resolution problem that forces a number of the games i play in a little box in the center of the screen with black borders to a full screen that they used to be in. I have also tried the different resolutions and they don't always work. I play visual novels on my laptop since they don't require a whole crap load of specs.

My laptop specs are CPU i3 M 370 @2.40ghz, RAM. 4 gigs, OS. windows 7 64bit home with sp1. With a pathetic intergrated gpu.
My max resolution is 1366 x 768.
In the games main menu, select "Options" or "Settings"; there should be a sub-menu regarding graphics. Make sure the resolution matches your display. Also, some games have an option of running the game within a window - be sure that is turned off as well.

Quote:
Question 2. How can i fix the problem that some webpages have when displaying pictures is a red X in the top left corner instead of the picture, i know that some pictures are hosted on different sites so that resolves one possibility of the red X./
This is a harder one to diagnose. There may be some security settings that are preventing the picture from downloading, or it could be a bad connection. You can try a different browser. I'm not sure it will help, but you can also try a DNS server, like Google's.

Quote:
Question 3. Is there a way to select more then one folder that are not next to each other to move somewhere else.
When you go to make your selection, press and hold the ALT key as you select the folders.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:50 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Hollow_Tears wrote:

I'm assuming you have a 16:9 or 16:10 ratio screen. If the game is normally played on a 4:3 ratio resolution, this is actually better. Filling the screen will cause everything to look wider. Unfortunately I don't think Intel's graphics options has anything on that, I've been trying to look for it and found nothing.

Quote:
Question 2. How can i fix the problem that some webpages have when displaying pictures is a red X in the top left corner instead of the picture, i know that some pictures are hosted on different sites so that resolves one possibility of the red X.

More than likely the server isn't responding. Right click on the image, if you're using Firefox you can try "View image". If you don't get anything, more than likely the server's kaput. In rare cases, you may have something just blocking the server.

Quote:

Hold CTRL while you click.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:48 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

LatiosXT wrote:
Hold CTRL while you click.
You are correct. I know "how to do it" ... I guess I didn't pay close enough attention as to "what I was doing."

Thank you for the correction.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:55 am 

Thank you for the replys, I knew about the shift key but not the ctrl key while selecting folders. I have looked at the config in my games and very few VNs that i play have the option to change the resolution but thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:10 pm 

Is it possible to upgrade/replace parts of a broken laptop, Because i don't want to pay over a grand just to be able play some games that require higher gpu specs then my current laptop. I have been looking to go more portable for my games cause i can't always take my semi high end tower when i travel.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

No, the CPU and GPU are almost always soldered in. Not to mention that laptop cooling systems are equipped with only enough to expel the required TDP and then some. So upgrading wouldn't do you good anyway.