Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: help boosting my internet speed...
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:53 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Is it possible to boost my internet connection using a workgroup switch, a cable modem, and two ethernet cards on single PC?

Can I double my speed using two NIC's?

I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2, Motorola SB5100 modem, Linksys 10/100 5 port workgroup switch, and two generic NIC's.

My pc is homemade: Abit IC7 mainboard, P4 3.01 Ghz proc, 2 gigs PC333 memory, nvidia FX 5400 128Mb video, 200Gb Western Digital HD, and an Sound Blaster Audigy.

Any advice, and configuration tips using my existing hardware would be greatly appreciated.
:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:14 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

No. Your Internet connection is what it is. If you want/need more bandwidth you need to pay more and upgrade the service you receive from your ISP.

YOu didn't mention what type of connection you currently use...Cable/DSL/Dial...

Not sure what you're going for in your post by listing all that stuff...its kinda like saying "I want to get to work faster", so you buy a supercar and drive 200MPH for 1 mile then sit in traffic.

With that said, if your Internet connection is capable of 3Mpbs (~375KBps) and you are not realizing that at your PC, then MAYBE you could upgrade your hardware...but PC hardware is WAAAY faster then most consumer Internet speeds, and throwing money in that direction is pointless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:50 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Sorry bout that HoOdy, I failed to point out that i'm using a cable modem.

I recently constructed my PC, and love to tinker with things. I just thought it may be possible with two NIC's using XP Pro since there's a setting for "Negotiate multi-link connections". I'm trying to squeeze out every BAUD out of my ISP for which i'm paying for without voiding my contract.

According to my DU Meter, downloads average 1.2 mbps and climbs to 1.34 mbps. I signed up with my ISP for 500Kbs. :shock:

I'd rather not ask my ISP. Can I get more with two NIC's?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 5:27 am 

Your bandwidth is limited by your cable modem cap. Without having a second cable modem you're not going to get more speed. Even with two cable modems you would need a router that would allow you to combine the bandwidth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:19 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

you get 1.2 mbps and you want something even faster. don't complain about it topo much, I know people (me for example) who would love that kind of speed. Where I live, it is dial up or nothing 52 kbps on a good day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:43 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

[quote]Your bandwidth is limited by your cable modem cap. Without having a second cable modem you're not going to get more speed. Even with two cable modems you would need a router that would allow you to combine the bandwidth.

Thanks RKilroy, makes sense.

whitecree:

No complaints on my behalf. I felt that pain before. I had an extra NIC laying around and figured if I could put it to good use, why not more bandwith?

As a tip, have you ever tried Modem Booster? It's tweaked my throughput significantly on dial up and cable modem.

Available here:htp://www.inklineglobal.com/products/mb/index.html

Download Accelerator is another great program.

http://www.speedbit.com/DAP7/DefaultT.asp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:09 am 
Team Member
Team Member

As the others said, adding two NICs won't increase your internet speed.

However, if you decided to do large file transfers (i.e.: anything bigger than 200MB) from one PC on your network to another, AND both PC's had two NICs, your speed would double.

Think about it this way:

Your internet connection is a water pipe. No matter how many pipes you have after the water comes into your house, the water will only flow as fast as it can through the pipe to the outside.

It's all about bottlenecks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:27 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

deject- I hear you and comprehend. Thanks.

I was just hoping that Windows XP would "negotiate a multi-link connection" (when activated) having my two NIC's installed, take full advantage of of the bandwith from them, and possibly trick the cable modem in to thinking there is only one, and thereby increasing my packet throughput. Being my ISP obviously hasn't been capped out at 500kbps. Both NIC's are installed on a single pc connected to a workgroup switch, as is the cable modem.

I stand to be corrected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:31 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You can increase your throughput with two NICs ... provided they are attached to different links (hence multilink) to the internet. IE., you could have a cable modem and a DSL modem and have your PC download from both at the same time. You'll have two IPs, essentially.

There are different ways to do this ... none of them are easy, and none of them are really worth it. For less than the price of 2 connections, most ISPs will offer a higher speed connection that usually has additional advantages such as static IPs, web hosting etc. etc..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:56 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Your LAN connection is probably more than 10x faster than your internet connection, so trying to use 2 LAN ports is useless.

Also, a second cable modem will NOT get you more speed either. The second modem just lets the cable company charge you $10+ a month for what a router does for way cheaper. You're still running from the same cable line out to the street, so you are probably saturating your allowed bandwidth anyway you look at it.