Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Did I kill my NF7?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:14 pm 

Hello,
I have a vanilla NF7 v2.0 that I was setting up for a LAN. I put a stick of RAM in, started it up, and the fans spun for only a second - I smelled smoke or burning.

I've since tried 4 sticks of ram (tried a stick in every slot), and 3 graphics cards in my system, and I keep getting long continous beeps.

Both red and green LEDs are lit... I certainly hope I haven't killed anything - but it sure looks like I might have. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

yup, sounds like ya definitely fried sumthin, and if u've tried other ram and video cards, then i would say it's either ur mobo, or possibly ur PSU, but since you said there are LEDs lit up, im leaning towards the mobo ... good luck.

Last edited by XHAOS on Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:26 pm 

:? I'm going to try the cpu in another system to make sure that survived. I have tried the vid cards and ram in other systems - they work. So... looks like the board went on me. Just before a LAN, great!

I wonder how quick Abit's RMA policy is :D

I don't even know if they have a RMA depot in Canada, or if I'll have to send it to the states.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:45 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

sorry man ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:25 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Did you try to get your board to post while out of your pc? You may have shorted a land or two on the backside of the motherboard when you mounted it.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:04 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

try another power supply but im leaning towards the mobo too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:54 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

In addition to the above, is there any chance you put one of the dimms in upside down? Unfortunatly, I speak from experience on this one, as I somehow managed to force a stick of RAM in upside down under my desk in the dark. I had almost forgotten about that experience until reading this thread :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:35 pm 

One4yu2c wrote:
In addition to the above, is there any chance you put one of the dimms in upside down? Unfortunatly, I speak from experience on this one, as I somehow managed to force a stick of RAM in upside down under my desk in the dark. I had almost forgotten about that experience until reading this thread :)

Thanks guys,

Well I am about to RMA the board. One4u2c, I actually think that's what I may have done. I was too ashamed to admit it though, but it's the only thing that makes sense lol. At least I'm not the only one :)

I guess that's what I get, working on a PC @ 2 am in the dark lol. Thankfully, the stick of ram is still working in another PC... would have sucked if I had killed both components.

I haven't tried a new PSU, but the LEDs still light up on the board, and the fans still spin, so I don't think it's that. And yes, I did try the board out of the PC. I have had that happen before, where somethin's shorting out, but no such luck this time.

Anyway, the company I got the board from didn't have any boards to replace it with just yet - so I went ahead and ordered the cheapest board I could find: the ASRock K7S41GX.

After I finally get a replacement for the NF7, the ASRock will probably become a custom built media server / download machine... and my 5th system to bring to LAN parties! :D

(There are good things to be found in every not-so-good situations... or so they say)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:21 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Invincible wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

Thanks guys,

Well I am about to RMA the board. One4u2c, I actually think that's what I may have done. I was too ashamed to admit it though, but it's the only thing that makes sense lol. At least I'm not the only one :)

I guess that's what I get, working on a PC @ 2 am in the dark lol. Thankfully, the stick of ram is still working in another PC... would have sucked if I had killed both components.

How the fark could you put ram in the wrong way??? It's keyed to only go in one way. The old saying, "If it's stuck force it, if it breaks, well it needed replacing anyway." does NOT apply to computers and their parts :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:37 am 
Team Member
Team Member

well my asus p4p800 did the same, think its some voltage regulator, but yeh smoke and heat and a red blaze happened. But the mobo still works, i will rma it though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:38 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

dargon wrote:
How the fark could you put ram in the wrong way??? It's keyed to only go in one way. The old saying, "If it's stuck force it, if it breaks, well it needed replacing anyway." does NOT apply to computers and their parts :)

Because in the dark when you're in a rush (this should be in the "Don't" thread), you're not sure if it's not fitting or if you just don't have it aligned properly...give a little push and it pops in, upside down. What a nasty smell that emits...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:24 am 

At least with PC133 there were two slots in the ram. With DDR, and only one which is relatively close to the middle - at a quick glance it's easy to mistake the wrong way for the right way :)

It didn't help that I was using a cheap generic case whose motherboard tray flexes quite a bit making me think I have to push it harder to get it in.

Post subject: ABIT and RMA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:59 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I may have had a bad experiance with ABIT but it took them 3 months to get my machine back to me and when they did, it was worse than when I sent it to them. Sent it back and all looked good till I found the only problem was my 2nd IDE slot was bad.

Board is now a coster for my coffee.

Then again this was 3-4 years ago

(KT7A) BOARD