Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Cpu runs too hot?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:40 pm 

I have 200fsb barton, epox nforce2u. The tem shows 50 C when on 100 fsb and up to 75c when i go to 200 fsb. I have cpu shim, thermal compound and thermaltake 11+ hsf. I dunno what's goin on, maybe the temp readings are wrong or something? (I have 2 sensors for cpu temp, 1 for the cpu fan and other one for motherboard, the cooler sensor is taped under the cpu). Help pls

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:57 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

wow that is too damn hot for a cpu like that. are you experiencing any reboots? could ge a wrong reading coming from the computer but i dont really know unless im there. what thermal compound did you use on your cpu? artic silver5 is one of the best.

Post subject: Re: Cpu runs too hot?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:02 pm 
Astro lube 2 the MAX!
Astro lube 2 the MAX!

LyS_Sword3 wrote:
I have 200fsb barton, epox nforce2u. The tem shows 50 C when on 100 fsb and up to 75c when i go to 200 fsb. I have cpu shim, thermal compound and thermaltake 11+ hsf. I dunno what's goin on, maybe the temp readings are wrong or something? (I have 2 sensors for cpu temp, 1 for the cpu fan and other one for motherboard, the cooler sensor is taped under the cpu). Help pls

Well bartons should be set to 166fsb (333 effective). I am at 52c but I'm overclocked. Is your vcore for your CPU set correctly. Should be I THINK 1.65 volts. Then check your temps again. Not sure but maybe that shim could be not a great helper. Barton core is wider, and should be easier to mount a heatsink without chipping it putting it on correctly. Try it without the shim. As for thermal compound, put a tiny bit, not a glop.

If you want to make sure you get best results, maybe try sanding the base of the heatsink smooth. With the right grit, should do well.

And does your case have good ventilation? Make sure your fans are pointing correctly for good airflow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:04 am 
Celeron
Celeron

probably, the sensors are reading them wrong, or you placed them in the wrong place. i would just use the motherboard readings from the bios to check the temps.

remove all sensors, and check your bios for temp readings. (del, f1 or f2 to get into bios). and see if that changes anything.

if that doesnt fix it, make sure that the hsf is making direct contact with the cpu core, with a bit of thermal paste. i would also try removing your shim and reseating the hsf. if you're afraid of cracking the core, practice a few times without the cpu there, or with the shim on top of it.

if that fails, might as well try a bios flash and see if the temps are correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:07 am 
Celeron
Celeron

oh, and exactly, what kind of 200fsb barton? the 3000+ or the 3200+? is it an overclocked one? if it is, relax and take breath for a moment. then lower your fsb.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:56 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

He shouldn't have to lower his fsb ... it isn't even close to running at spec.

I'm going to second the recommendation to remove the shim. I'm willing to bet that it is spacing the hsf away from the CPU and not allowing it to cool properly.

Also ... make sure you apply a TINY TINY TINY amount of thermal paste. When you spread it, it should be almost invisible to the eye. If you can see gunk, you are actually insulating your CPU.

Post subject: ^^
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:48 am 

What was strange to me that i didnt experience any reboots or freezes and when feeling the heatsink it was barely warm(you would think that cpu will melt at 75c) I disabled
the thermaltake sensor and now the temps reads normal i think for xp3200 55c after 3dmark. Ok thanks guys