Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Question on Swap File and hard drives
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:36 pm 

I currently have a 200GB, 8MB cache, 7200RPM hard drive with a partition just for the Windows Swap/Page file. I have a spare 10GB, 2MB cache, 7200RPM hard drive that I would like to add to my computer.

Here's the thing, I've heard/read that you can get better performance by moving your Swap/Page file to a separate hard drive - a drive that is NOT your System drive. Should I move my Swap file to the smaller cache drive, or should I just leave the Swap file on the larger cache drive and leave everything the way it currently is now?

I think Windows would probably benefit by being on the larger cache drive, so I don't think I would want to move my System (Windows directory) to the smaller cache drive - am I wrong in thinking this? I don't have the money right now to buy another 8MB cache drive just for the Swap file.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Question on Swap File and hard drives
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:26 am 

brian1100 wrote:
Here's the thing, I've heard/read that you can get better performance by moving your Swap/Page file to a separate hard drive - a drive that is NOT your System drive.

There are a few other things that go with this. You would have to have the second drive on the other IDE channel as IDE can only communicate with one device on the channel at a time. Provided you have sufficient memory you're not going to be hitting the Swap/Page file very often.

Try it, if you feel that it is working better then keep it. If you don't like it, you're no worse off than before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:10 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

I would leave your swap file where it is. Odds are your older drive is ata66 where the new one is ata100. Adding the ata66 to the same channel as the new drive, will make both drives run at ata66. Someone can correct me if im wrong on that, but i believe thats how it works. Even if you put the drive on a diff channel, you would still not gain by moving it, as your new hard drive is faster with a bigger cache. Keep it defragged and you will get the best performance out of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:54 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Another thing you can try is splitting the swap file between the two drives.

This will give you a boost when you access the swap file provided that the HDD you're adding is on a different channel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:58 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Putting the page file on a different physical drive than the system folder may improve performance. This is because Windows XP uses both the paging file and the system folder heavily, so they compete for disk reads and writes.
If you have a small amount memory 256 Mb or less running Windows XP. I'd add more physical memory to see a performance gain. The hard disk is far slower than physical ram.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:01 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'd leave it where it's at.