Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 3 minute black screen during boot
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:16 pm 

i have a chaintech summit 7nil1, amd athlon 2600 barton, wd 200gb w/8mb cache, 512 ddr 2700, and an ati radeon 9600 pro. during the boot process my computer sits at a black screen for approximatly three minutes. the screen is after the second post screen and right before the windows xp pro load bar. during the screen my pc shows no signs of any hard drive activity. i have tried using a different harddrive with a different windows install and the problem was still there. once booted my machine runs very well. ive checked all my settings in the bios and couldnt find anything that was out of place. ive also thought of onboard raid or something of that nature but, have been unable to find any thing on my mobo that would cause such a delay. i would appreciate any advice. thanks kaiser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:19 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

you can check your hdd cable and see if that is the problem. videocard drivers too play a role and update them if you havent already. could be a flaky monitor, try testing another monitor on your system and see if that the problem.

Post subject: first rule of all a+ pros - CHECK THE SIMPLE THINGS FIRST
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:31 pm 

first rule of all a+ pros - CHECK THE SIMPLE THINGS FIRST

yeah, ive swapped out cables and updated all the drivers but it is a pesky little problem. when i first started building systems i frequently had disconnected cables, especially with small cases and micro atx mobos

thanks for the suggestion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:56 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I've thought a bit and can only come up with this as a starter:

The HDD controller may be causing the hang. For somereason it may be searching around to find items hooked to it. Visit the motherboard's site and see if they have any drivers for it. This has only occured to me once and it was on a Gigabyte board with a promise controller. It's worth a shot. Just sounds like a RAID controller, but you didn't mention if you were using this or not...

Oh, and does that board offer any funky "face" settings? Like, is there someway to upload your own picture to the BIOS? Again, my Gigabyte does and if the picture I made doestn't jive with it, it just shows the blank screen until the next step is ready...

Post subject: Re: 3 minute black screen during boot
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:54 am 

That's your IDE controller. You could try updating your mobo's BIOS (if the ide controller is on your mobo) and if you set your BIOS to auto-detect your drives, you could also try detecting your drives and saving the settings instead of using auto-detect. If you swap out some drives a lot, just store settings for the drives that you always use.

Post subject: Re: 3 minute black screen during boot
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:03 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

kaiser wrote:
i have a chaintech summit 7nil1, amd athlon 2600 barton, wd 200gb w/8mb cache, 512 ddr 2700, and an ati radeon 9600 pro. during the boot process my computer sits at a black screen for approximatly three minutes. the screen is after the second post screen and right before the windows xp pro load bar. during the screen my pc shows no signs of any hard drive activity. i have tried using a different harddrive with a different windows install and the problem was still there. once booted my machine runs very well. ive checked all my settings in the bios and couldnt find anything that was out of place. ive also thought of onboard raid or something of that nature but, have been unable to find any thing on my mobo that would cause such a delay. i would appreciate any advice. thanks kaiser

Is your BIOS up to date? Have you disabled virus warning in BIOS? I had this problem until I disabled that little feature at my place of work.

Have you scanned with a system diagnostic tester? They will force you to create a boot disk to run it from. They should at least test the CPU, Video Feed, HDD, FDD, CD Feedback, network and modem, and the RAM for problems. It could be something as simple as bad RAM and you will not know until it has been tested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:31 pm 

first things first what i have done:
--i have turned off the virus warning in the bios
--manually adjusted the ide settings aswell as used the auto-detect setting
verified every jumper and bios setting with the users manual (yes, i actually read the manual for the first time in my life, thats how desperate ive gotten)
--ive ruled out the raid possibility (that was my first suspect because i had an asus a7n8x-dx that had a 30 second delay for the raid controller to realize that it wasnt wanted)
--checked for any fancy BIOS options or settings and found none
--checked my other hardware with a diagnostic tool after testing them in another machine

i liked all of your suggestions though. i myself am questioning the ide controller. i have found one weird irregularity though. when i boot into safe mode my machine boots in a normal fast time. it doesnt pause or delay at all. right now im downloading the latest mobo drivers and bios. my current drivers are only one month older but, im trying it any way. i have a dial up at home so its kind of slow going. ill give an update as soon as i find out more. thanks for all the advice so far. its all been good stuff.

thanks
kaiser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:38 pm 

ive got a new thought

outside of the ide controller possibility, i was thinking that maybe my video card could be having trouble loading the gui. maybe thats crazy but i suppose it could be possible. the card worked in my old machine but it might not like the new mobo or handling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:34 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

kaiser wrote:
first things first what i have done:
--i have turned off the virus warning in the bios
--manually adjusted the ide settings aswell as used the auto-detect setting
verified every jumper and bios setting with the users manual (yes, i actually read the manual for the first time in my life, thats how desperate ive gotten)
--ive ruled out the raid possibility (that was my first suspect because i had an asus a7n8x-dx that had a 30 second delay for the raid controller to realize that it wasnt wanted)
--checked for any fancy BIOS options or settings and found none
--checked my other hardware with a diagnostic tool after testing them in another machine

i liked all of your suggestions though. i myself am questioning the ide controller. i have found one weird irregularity though. when i boot into safe mode my machine boots in a normal fast time. it doesnt pause or delay at all. right now im downloading the latest mobo drivers and bios. my current drivers are only one month older but, im trying it any way. i have a dial up at home so its kind of slow going. ill give an update as soon as i find out more. thanks for all the advice so far. its all been good stuff.

thanks
kaiser

Try getting and testing a different Video Card. Just like the RAM on my mobo the RAM on the Video Card can be bad. As well can the card itself be defective. If it does the same thing with a different video card, you have just eliminated it as a culprit.

Try downloading one of the free RAM memory testers online or some free diagnostic tester.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:24 pm 

ive solved my problem. the delay was caused my my keyboard and mouse combination. although the two worked well for more than a year on my previous two computers, something about them gave my new machine problems. i replaced them with a new microsoft wireless combo and after a reboot i noticed that my machine booted fully in under one minute. talk about weird. thanks for everyones help.

-kaiser :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:20 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

kaiser wrote:
ive solved my problem. the delay was caused my my keyboard and mouse combination. although the two worked well for more than a year on my previous two computers, something about them gave my new machine problems. i replaced them with a new microsoft wireless combo and after a reboot i noticed that my machine booted fully in under one minute. talk about weird. thanks for everyones help.

-kaiser :D

And thank YOU for posting back your solution. It's appreciated by both those of us who help and those who are experiencing the same/similar problem.