Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: a few win 98 questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:14 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi i am trying to fix one of my friend computer..the computer is running window 98..the first edition...now the system was full of spyware and ad ware...and before i got rid of most of the crap was very slow...now it runs fine...i have a few problems here and there:
1)everytime i start the computer instead of the desktop i keep getting
the c:\window\system folder..how do i prevent it from starting up?

2)i am trying to start "msconfig" but it won't run...

also running scandisk and diskdefragger gives me problem...sometimes they dont start..but for that i found a program called power defragger that works great.
the program i used are regcleaner, spybot, and adaware 6.0...like i said the computer seems to work ok now but i am not completely satisfied.
thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:18 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Go to Mike Lin's homepage

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Download the Startup Control Panel and Install it.

Open it up from your control panel.

Remove all the little nasties that weren't automatically removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:52 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Considering looking into your registry as well (Yes, DO back it up. The worst CAN happen, and it sounds like you've done enough work).

The path is:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

The next two keys below 'Run' (RunOnce & RunOnceEx) are worth checking as well.

Honestly, it sounds like a format & re-install wouldn't be out of the question. With MSconfig not working (are you sure?) and some odd glitches in your software, it might help. Checking for updates for Windows and your other programs might also help (I'm not sure, but I think the extension that Microsoft gave for Windows 98 will allow it to still access Windows Update). Plus, having a fresh & clean system is always nice. Your friend's spouse/girl/boy friend will thank you.

Respectfully,
Jacob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:04 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

thanx guys flytrap the small program you advise me to download worked great..i raccomend it....easy and i think is a lil better then msconfig....i installed in my computer....
i was thinking about doing a fresh install but this computer is for 2 teenager and they have pictures, documents, buddy lists, saved all over the computer so if i do a fresh install they will lose a lot...anyway the system seems to be working fine now.
as for the registry, guess what?! regedit doesnt start...it pops up for 2 seconds and then it disappears!! any ideas why...?
i think i'll leave the computer the way it is, if it doesnt work i'll do a fresh install....
thanx again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:06 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Go to the "run" box and type SFC and run the program, have your 98 disk in the cd-rom drive. If the program asks if you want to repair a file or replace one, you MUST point the program using the upper browse button to the folder on the win cd named win98 each time the program asks for the location of the replacement file.

Go to Google and type regclean.exe, download and run the file. This program was designed by Microsoft to repair the registry in 98 and 98se....not sure if it works in ME.

Download CW Shredder and run it, gets rid of some trogans, hijack type.

Win 98 original is an unstable version of win 98, 98se is much better.

If all else fails, do as Jacob says, reformat and do a clean install. Before you do, it make sure you have all the drivers for your hardware. If you don't have all the drivers don't format and start over.

Nasty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:31 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

thanx nasty...(well that sounds weird, more like an insult then a thank you)...anyway i did as you told me..great advice..i like the sfc command..the only thing with that is that if i don't know where regedit is in the cd rom...the other two programs were great they found a couple of things and i also put them in my compuer...it's amazing how many lil programs are out there..
thank you guys the system seems to be working fine..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:01 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You can find regclean.exe here:

http://www.evidence-eliminator-privacy. ... istry.html

Download and run it, it has an undo file that it makes ...just incase it screws things up ;)

Nasty