Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Keyboard fails to work when entering the BIOS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:12 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I went to my sister's place yesterday to install a newly acquired GA-MA785GM-US2H (Revision 1.1) motherboard in her computer. After installing the board in the case and plugging in the wireless receiver for both the Microsoft Wirless Optical Mouse 2.0 and the Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000 (and other peripherals) into the ports on the motherboard's I/O ports on the back of the computer, I found I was able to use the keyboard in Windows and was able to enter the motherboard's BIOS setup by pressing the Delete key on the keyboard, but, once I am in the BIOS, I am unable to navigate the BIOS with the keyboard. I have the wireless receiver for both the keyboard and mouse plugged into one of the USB ports next to the PS/2 port (which can be used for either a PS/2 keyboard or mouse) near the top of the I/O panel. I also did not have this problem when I plugged my Logitech USB keyboard into one of the other USB ports on the I/O panel and the only workaround appears to be the use of a Microsoft Elite Natural Keyboard with a PS/2 connector. I know that the current BIOS revision is F9, and that there are at least three newer BIOS revisions available at Gigabyte's site, but none of them appear to address this issue. Any thoughts or suggestions about what the solution to this issue might be?

Post subject: Re: Keyboard fails to work when entering the BIOS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

First, wired > wireless. Second, you must turn on usb keyboard support in your bios. And to use a wireless keyboard for preboot actions is often tricky. The wireless keyboard and/or mouse has to be discovered and it;s the OS that discovers it. That's why it's always nice to have a spare ps/2 keyboard laying around.

Post subject: Re: Keyboard fails to work when entering the BIOS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:09 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I ensured that USB Support for USB Keyboard was enabled in the motherboard's BIOS. Also, this is the first motherboard that this has happened with in her computer with this particular keyboard.