Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Multi boot XP Vista Win7 Win8 Ubuntu 12.04
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:38 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi,
Want to multi boot, XP, Vista, Win7, Win8, and Unbantu 12.
Currently have win7 on an SSD. (I've had win8 DP, CP, RP installed before for testing but now have wiped that drive.)
I have an empty 300GB drive I want to install all those OS on. I would make smallish partitions for each as needed. I think the correct order of installs would be:
XP - updating to SP3 x86
Vista - updating SP2 x64
Win7 - updating SP1 x64
Use EasyBCD2.0 to build a boot loader menu with WIn7 as default
Ubuntu 12.04
Boot through grub to get back to WIn7
Update EasyBCD boot loader menu with WIn7 as default and add Linux menu item
Win8 RP x64
Boot back to win7 somehow from win8
Update EasyBCD boot loader menu with WIn7 as default, and win8 menu item.

I'm sure I'm missing some small but important steps. I want to use win7 as default so there is not a reboot to get to other OS's as when Win8 is the default. Also not sure if I need to remove the boot flag for XP if i'm loading Vista right after. Of coarse, I have OS backup images, and data backup on other Data/backup drives.
This if for fun, not mission critical. Just an interesting project.
Can several of you out there give this a once over and post some pointers to make this go fairly smooth?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Multi boot XP Vista Win7 Win8 Ubuntu 12.04
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:53 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Obviously not clinic stuff then...you want Alt OS since you're holding the gun to your head. This is where people beg for help from unforeseen problems...you're running right for that brick wall.

I'd have you wrapped up quickly with the title, until I got to EasyBCD. Have you tried installing win7 (owned) with a lot of space, then made a partition for the rest? I can do this with a mix of BSD in an hour, but I'm not the best figuring out what you yourself have already done. Here, I don't think you need a boot loader to figure out as it's more simple. And if you haven't tried Linux with windows, I don't think shoving all these at once is a great entry point (unless you're into S&M).

Since you own Win 7, install Ubantu...or Mandriva...or anything. Watch how well it installs after the fact while also noting things you should have done...like give a partition that's not segregated and is available to all OS's. Early days in MS beta's made me figure that out, while Linux does that for you these days. It sucked to have to do it all over again, but I now knew...and knowing was half the battle. The battle here is asking us how to do it all, then you figure out the rest and that's just not cool. You're already cheating by wanting an external boot loader than dealing with the boot itself in code.

I'm being passive, so don't take it like I'm playing this off as elitism. I had to learn on my own and it worked out well for about 10 years and speak UNIXX. And after 20 years, I no longer see the need for XP, Metro 8, Ubuntu, MacOS...I just install the OS and use my hardware.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:38 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Thanks for the interesting reply. ;)
Not into S&M, But just like to mess around with OS's when the erg hits. Doing things like this is how I learn more about how the system works. Yes I hear you saying 'read a book' but it's not quite the same as doing hands on.
I just use EasyBCD to make dealing with win's boot loader simpler and make it play nice with grub. I do not use Easy's gui loader.
I was planning on keeping a win7 on my SSD, and have another one on the HD with the other OS's. I will add needed partitions as I load OS's. I will let linux make it's own partitions that it likes, but not fill drive with them.

Have any practical advice?
Thanks

PS been using computer since 3rd grade ('73) when my school got 3 TTY's connected to a Stanford college mainframe. then I moved to an ALTO at PARC in 4th grade and learned smalltalk there with connected turtles drawing pictures on the floor. I think mine was called Mindy, if I recall. So i'm a bit familiar with computers, but always looking to learn more. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:53 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Just discovered a problem. My SSD requires the MB to be in AHCI mode. XP will not install in AHCI. I need to slipstream AHCI drivers into a new install disk. What drivers? From the SSD manufacturer or MS?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:34 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

The AHCI drivers need to be from the MB manufacturer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:18 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

pcstudent:
Thanks. a quick check on MB site and found them.

Any thoughts about anything else like this that might give me a headache during the several installs listed above?
Thanks again :)