Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Can't Roll In AHCI Mode
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:48 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

My entire system is SATA II except for my SSD which is a SATA III and goes through a controller card on one of the PCIE ports.

It's an OCZ Vertex 3, has the latest (2.25) firmware updates and even the controller card has the latest updates, dated this year, for the Asmedia 106x Controller Card.

I did the registry edit on both Win 7's (have two running, one on the SSD and one on one of the standard hard drives.).

I overclock so just to be sure it wasn't me, I restored all settings in BIOS to default and set the system to AHCI instead of IDE. When I boot to the standard drive, it does no problem but when I try to boot to the SSD, it hangs on the splash screen.

Is it because I am going thru a PCIE port and not any of the SATA ports?

Post subject: Re: Can't Roll In AHCI Mode
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:08 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

You did install the SATA drivers in both systems I am guessing....

Plus you may want to read this article:

http://www.neowin.net/news/neowin-guide ... ng-windows

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:43 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I know all about the registry changes and have made them. Both Win 7's sees Asmedia 106x SATA Controllers in Device Manager.

I can roll in AHCI mode on my standard drive that's plugged into the motherboard but not the drive plugged into the controller card (the SSD SATA III).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:07 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well here I sit, typing to you now with my pc in AHCI mode and you know what the difference was???? Time.

My standard drive always took like, 30 seconds to go from flash screen into Welcome screen. When I booted to my SSD, flash screen came on and a few seconds later.....nothing. So instead of rebooting I decided to get a cup of coffee and give it some extra time and as I was stirring my coffee together I hear the Win 7 chime ring out. Couldn't believe it.

There is a setting somewhere where you can alter the amount of time it takes for the whole thing to boot or.......the flash screen to come and go. Can't remember where it's at. Not sure if it's in BIOS or not.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:00 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Do you have the drivers for that card installed along with the SATA drivers?

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:31 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

robertco300 wrote:
Well here I sit, typing to you now with my pc in AHCI mode and you know what the difference was???? Time.

My standard drive always took like, 30 seconds to go from flash screen into Welcome screen. When I booted to my SSD, flash screen came on and a few seconds later.....nothing. So instead of rebooting I decided to get a cup of coffee and give it some extra time and as I was stirring my coffee together I hear the Win 7 chime ring out. Couldn't believe it.

There is a setting somewhere where you can alter the amount of time it takes for the whole thing to boot or.......the flash screen to come and go. Can't remember where it's at. Not sure if it's in BIOS or not.

That is one of the reasons I don't recommend add-in controller cards... the card must be initialized before Windows can be loaded from an attached drive. This initialization usually happens after P.O.S.T.and the hardware integrated into the motherboard initialize.

There may be a key combination that you need to press while the card is initializing to get into a card options menu which may allow you to adjust the time needed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:26 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

The SATA drivers for that card are installed, dated just a few months ago. The latest firmware for the OCZ Vertex 3 (2.25) has been updated.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Are you supposed to be able to boot from this card? Look in the manual and make sure you can.

Does the bios see the hard drive on this card? If so, set the bios to boot from it.

Is the bios on this card set to AHCI?

Nasty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:47 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Yes, I finally got the BIOS to work in AHCI mode.

The boot loader is installed in the standard spinning drive which is installed on the motherboard. BIOS is booting to this drive first. Then I get a black screen for a few seconds asking me which Win 7 I want to boot to, both Win 7's are stacked. Fortunately, the SSD version is highlighted so I don't have to do anything and 3 seconds later it boots to the SSD.

The SSD is only plugged in thru the controller card so if it didn't work, you wouldn't see the SSD and I use it all the time.

I don't think I can make BIOS boot from the card cause the bootloader is with the other version of Win 7 installed on a standard spinning hard drive plugged into MOBO.

Like your questions.....keep 'em coming. I had this thing running SWEET not two days ago, BANG-BANG-BANG with the boot and now when I want to boot up to the SSD, it does everything like before but once the splash screen hits I gotta wait TWO MINUTES for it to break into the Welcome screen. What makes the splash screen hold up all that time? Is it looking for drivers or something?

I remember the instructions said I couldn't do the firmware update for the SSD while it was a C drive, main drive. I took care of that by booting to the other drive and updating.

I installed the Asmedia (the chipset running on the controller card) 106x Sata Controller Card drivers on BOTH versions of Windows cause that card is the only connection the SSD has to the system. SSD Win 7 has it and the HDD Win 7 plugged into MOBO has it. It shows up in both Device Managers, Asmedia 106x SATA Controller Card.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:54 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well I'm done. I yanked the $20 controller card (yes, how I ever thought a $20 controller card could replace a $200 motherboard chipset is beyond me even though it was SATA III). Plugged my SSD SATA III back into the MOBO and I am still rocking the net as fast as I was before AND in AHCI mode.

I made sure to boot to the standard HDD first so it would find the OCZ Vertex 3 plugged in. I'll let you know on my download speeds by I think I'll be just fine.

Asmedia doesn't show up in Device Manager any more but Win 7 is still hanging on startup longer than it should. Any ideas???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:25 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Even though it's ticking me off not having the PCI bandwidth I keep telling myself to believe in the funnel effect.

The Net coming in at SATA II and being sucked up onto my SSD SATA III which is much faster. From fast to faster.......you know???? Well.....that's at least what I tell myself.

I'm cruising and downloadin' "seemingly" as fast as I was previously with the controller card. Now I gotta work on getting back to the super fast startup I USED to have.

I'm deleting ANYTHING to do with Asmedia, ASUS setup (which is used to install the Asmedia) and we'll see a few restarts down the road.

Thanks for all your help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:00 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Please do un-install the driver for the 20 buck card, don't just delete things! Yipes!

Download, install and run the registry section of Ccleaner, to get the crap the uninstaller missed.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner

The hard drive, ssd or mechanical has nothing to do with how fast you can download, it is how fast a service you have and how much someones server lets you download per second. Some servers are blasting fast, like Microsofts sites or just plain slow like Cnet, they throttle how fast you can download.

Look in the Event Viewer for problems, you may get a clue there why your system is having a hard time booting.

Look in the Device Manager and see if there are any errors there, if so reload the driver for the device.

I think you may be right, during booting the system is looking for a driver that may be in the wrong place or is corrupt and must use a generic driver to run.

Nasty