Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Few Questions About HDs/SSDs and OS's
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:31 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

My pressumption was that my new SSD would be my C drive (the fastest drive in my pc running the OS and a few proggys). The 4 other drives are just slaves and as I have mentioned in my other threads, I also have Win 7 installed on one of the other 4 drives. Questions:

1. I have VLC Player installed on my SSD AND the other drive that has Win 7. If I boot to the SSD but select the VLC Player off the other hard drive, will ONLY that drive be running and NOT the SSD? Thought it would be good to divy up the workload.

2. Freshly installed SSD, I had a few crashes doing simply things like watching HD tv and NOTHING else. Wasn't like I was multi-tasking or anything. So I went into AMD Catalyst Control Center and turned off the Overdrive settings. Been pretty solid ever since. Is there any history there with vid card overclocking and SSD's?

3. I have the SSD for a fast OS, so I can cruise the net much faster and increase the rate of my downloads. This is why I thought it was important to go to the other hard drive and run VLC Player from it and I wanted to know if I am wasting my time or not. You see what I am trying to do? Is it really happening or not?

I also have 2 versions of Win 7 installed so if/when my SSD finally dies, I can just have BIOS point to the hard drive with Win 7 on it and not miss a bit. Please let me know on the questions. Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Few Questions About HDs/SSDs and OS's
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

robertco300 wrote:
1. I have VLC Player installed on my SSD AND the other drive that has Win 7. If I boot to the SSD but select the VLC Player off the other hard drive, will ONLY that drive be running and NOT the SSD? Thought it would be good to divy up the workload.

If the program is run from the hard drive, then yes. Make sure your shortcuts are pointing to that.

Quote:
2. Freshly installed SSD, I had a few crashes doing simply things like watching HD tv and NOTHING else. Wasn't like I was multi-tasking or anything. So I went into AMD Catalyst Control Center and turned off the Overdrive settings. Been pretty solid ever since. Is there any history there with vid card overclocking and SSD's?

No, it sounds more like your video card was f'ing up. You video card may be doing decode work, not the CPU. It depends on the crash too, because saying "crashes" could mean anything.

Quote:
3. I have the SSD for a fast OS, so I can cruise the net much faster and increase the rate of my downloads. This is why I thought it was important to go to the other hard drive and run VLC Player from it and I wanted to know if I am wasting my time or not. You see what I am trying to do? Is it really happening or not?

You are wasting your time. Your internet speed is not related to your secondary memory speed. The only speed improvement you'll see on browsers may be opening the browser itself, initializing plugins (like Flash or Silverlight), and snappier user experience when multitasking. And that's it.

Your download speed for all intents and purposes is always going to be slower than even a dinky 5400RPM hard drive.

This might matter if you were transferring files between computers over the network, but unless your using Gigabit Ethernet, even your LAN/WLAN won't beat a hard drive.