Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sabertooth X79 RAID headaches...ideas?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:58 pm 

alrighty then, so in a nutshell, I simply cannot get this darn thing to let me run a RAID array(0) no matter what I do! Its driving me absolutely nuts!

Okay, long version. So I got myself the x79 sabertooth board, 3930k processor, etc etc. and decided it'd be neat to go ahead and RAID 0 some old 7200 rpm hitachi hard drives I had sitting around to get me at least a little more speed and ease the process of transferring to a raid 0 of SSD's later on, but I keep having issues.

first off, I was able to get all the drives installed and turned on RAID in bios, so far so good. They're connected to the 2 brown sata 6g port on my motherboard which has an Intel controller. Ctrl+I brought up the raid config fine and let me assign them to a volume as per normal.

At this stage I noticed something, my other hard drives, which weren't set into a raid volume, were no longer on the list of boot devices in bios, not sure if that's normal or not(?). My original plan was to migrate over my current windows install from non-raid to raid by imaging using Acronis TI 2012, but I simply could not get it to work for the life of me. It seemed to see the recovery image I made of the original drive on the storage HDD, but did not see my raid volume. Mind you, this is with the Plus Pack install, so it should have supposedly seen it according to their site and what I've read.

At this point I gave up on imaging the darn thing and just decided I'd go ahead and reinstall from scratch, so I popped in my windows 7 install disc and started, but when it came to trying to load the f6 Intel raid drives, was a no-go. for some reason, it says they are incompatible with my hardware or some such, despite it being the proper iRST F6 drivers needed for the Intel raid controller, directly off the ASUS site for the mobo.

At this point, i'm a bit lost as to what to do. All the tuts I followed never had this driver issue I've got, so any got some tips for how I can make this confounded machine work? Or should I just scrap the drives and call it a day?