Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Asus P8Z77-V gets stuck at bios after power up
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:46 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I just got this new mobo, and it was working fine for few days, but now every time I turn it on (after being off for a while) it get's stuck in BIOS logo until I hit Reset, then it reboots and everything works fine, until next power up. Not fatal but very annoying...
I can't see any messages, just Ameritrend logo across half of the screen (it's much lager than during normal boot).
Anyone seen anything like this? BIOS is latest 1606 (I think issue might have strarted after I flashed BIOS) and I'm using Radeon HD6800 Card (instead of onboard) with 2 monitors (30" and 24").
Should I disable onboard video, or try to flash prev. version of BIOS? Could it be RAM?

Post subject: Re: Asus P8Z77-V gets stuck at bios after power up
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 am 
Willamette
Willamette

It very well could be that the BIOS chip may have been affected. I have had two of them on two different ASUS motherboards go south on me after flash updating them to the latest BIOS version. You can obtain a replacement BIOS chip from ASUS or you can try to find one on eBay to see if this resolves your issue.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:10 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

pcstudent wrote:
It very well could be that the BIOS chip may have been affected. I have had two of them on two different ASUS motherboards go south on me after flash updating them to the latest BIOS version. You can obtain a replacement BIOS chip from ASUS or you can try to find one on eBay to see if this resolves your issue.

Yikes! Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:49 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

It looks like you will have to go to ASUS to get a replacement BIOS chip for the motherboard. EBay doesn't have any available, most likely due to the motherboard being fairly new.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:05 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Yikes! I don't think Gigabyte boards have this problem! Ha! IMOK, get it fixed quick.

Speaking of a fix. Did you happen to install Intel RST? I've seen boot issues on Asus boards due to the attempt to switch off AHCI to Raid and vice versa. It's a driver not playing nicely at boot. Resetting is always the way around the gaffe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:34 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

kleinkinstein wrote:
Yikes! I don't think Gigabyte boards have this problem! Ha! IMOK, get it fixed quick.

Speaking of a fix. Did you happen to install Intel RST? I've seen boot issues on Asus boards due to the attempt to switch off AHCI to Raid and vice versa. It's a driver not playing nicely at boot. Resetting is always the way around the gaffe.

No I didn't install RST yet... I think I need a separate SSD for that? I don't get the whole concept of RST, if my System drive is already SSD, how will it improve things...
But yeah, from what I'm seeing ASUS' weak spot it it's BIOS. But I'd rather have to hit rest button during post rather than having Windows freeze randomly :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:43 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Since you think this problem started with a BIOS update, which method did you use to install the BIOS update? [Specifically, did it require you to rename the update specifically for the MB model before using it and did you?]

I assume the Optimized Default settings are loaded in BIOS?

I suppose a clearing the CMOS procedure might help but I am not hopeful.

Yes, I would finally "update" the BIOS either to a lesser revision or attempt to reinstall the current revision. If this is a new MB with no boot drive (currently) then you should update via the onboard video without a video card present. Either way should work, however, with the BIOS' low rez video driver (VGA).

ASUS

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1

Flashback

As for the RAM you have a MEMtest button. Or boot up memtest86 and see if it will run. There should also be a myriad of diagnostic aids built into that MB and listed in the manual.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:45 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Thank you! I think resetting BIOS with jumper did it. Not getting stuck in BIOS for 2 days so far! :)