Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zone Alarm Firewall....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:47 pm 

Is it good? Just got august's issue and it says that they reccomment it. Any users suggest it also? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Zone Alarm Firewall....
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:50 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

ORCompGuy wrote:
Is it good? Just got august's issue and it says that they reccomment it. Any users suggest it also? Thanks.

zone alarms is pretty good.

I personally prefer sygate personal firewall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:40 am 
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us
All Your Basestar Are Belong to Us

ZoneAlarm 4.5 is good. ZoneAlarm 5.0 is bug-ridden. You can d/l 4.5 by going here:

Direct Link to 4.5.594 download

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:46 am 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

It works well, just some times when I restarted my computer it denyed internet access. I chanched all the setting and it still didnt work. What i had to do was click the defult settings buttons and it let me on the net. It got annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:58 am 

Hey that link you put there, is that one where its only like a 15 day trail thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:43 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

It's the free one.

You only have to pay for the Pro version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:58 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Number Six,

Would you mind posting a bit on ZoneAlarm 5? I´d be interested to hear what problems it has.

Respectfully,
Jacob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:28 am 
Willamette
Willamette

the only probs i have had with it are my fault

it asks for program access to the internet, and i have blocked some things, and then i wonder why things dont work...

other than that. i like it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:31 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

ComputerSlayer wrote:
Number Six,

Would you mind posting a bit on ZoneAlarm 5? I´d be interested to hear what problems it has.

Respectfully,
Jacob

Go to the Zone Alarm Forums and do a search for Zone Alarm 5. You could spend all day reading up on all the bugs and quirks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:02 am 

ComputerSlayer wrote:
Number Six,

Respectfully,
Jacob

Check around computer forums, you'll get a taste. I think there was a thread or two on this at the Delphi forum. I'd used ZA for years with no problems, and no intrusions, and faithfully upgraded to version 5.xx.

Windows began behaving strangely, little things like icons changing, crashes, weird error messages. Then I ran checkdisk with the fix option, and discovered I was locked out of my C drive - checkdisk gave an error saying the volume was in use, when it shouldn't be. I messed with it for days, and got to discussing it on some forums, and everyone had the same problem - checkdisk could only be run to see if there were errors (run from explorer), but to fix them it reboots and does its thing before loading windows, and it couldn't.

I turned anti-virus and ZA off, but that didn't help.

Uninstalled ZA completely, and suddenly i could fix disk errors and windows stopped freaking out. I posted back to some of the folks having the same problem, and only the uninstall allowed checkdisk to run correctly.

Weird stuff. I swore by ZA, installed it on the machines my friends asked me to build or fix, and no trouble. After seeing this sort of major error, I decided to move on. Tried both Sygate and Kerio - both worked well, but I chose Kerio because I liked the interface. Neither is as easy to use as ZA, bot neither gave me any problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:29 am 
Willamette
Willamette

i havnt had any of those probs...

maybe im just a special case

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:13 am 

BiggPa wrote:
i havnt had any of those probs...

maybe im just a special case

Cool.

I thought it was my comp or windows installation that was the problem, but based on others with an identical experience, it wasn't.

Also possible (one hopes) that ZA has fixed the problems in the latest 5.xx release.

I'll stick to Kerio for now - that was a nightmare. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 12:35 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

ORCompGuy wrote:

Used to be good. Sucks now. I prefer and recommend Kerio.

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:39 pm 

Thank you fallsroad!!!! :D Now I know why my "clean install" of XP Pro has been acting a little goofy. :roll: I haven't been able to run checkdisk normally for weeks. :? Surprisingly, diskeeper8pro could run it while doing a bootmode defrag. As and experiment, I went to msconfig/startup and disabled zlclient c:\programfiles\zon. Checkdisc ran from C without a hitch. I have an earlier versions of Zone Alarm Pro saved on CD. I think it's time to downgrade. My current version is 5.1.011.000.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:23 pm 

I'm now using Kerio myself. I never really had problems with ZA, other than it causing other programs to mess up when it asked for access to things.

Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) is very nice and the interface is easier to use as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:04 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Steve wrote:
I'm now using Kerio myself. I never really had problems with ZA, other than it causing other programs to mess up when it asked for access to things.

Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF) is very nice and the interface is easier to use as well.

Yah, I much prefer it! Not quite as simple to configure but it seems to be much smoother running it.

Wolf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:31 pm 

Really? You don't find it easier to use?

I didn't have too much trouble and the interface is a little more intuitive...just one man's opinion.

Post subject: Zone Alarm Firewall....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:20 am 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

I am using an older version of Kerio and like it. 2.1.5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:58 am 
Klamath
Klamath

ORCompGuy wrote:

Zone Alarm is good and not hard at all to use. Only thing I don't like about it (and maybe I don't understand something) is that when I disable ZA, sometimes I have trouble accessing the net.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:06 pm 

fishnet wrote:
Thank you fallsroad!!!! :D Now I know why my "clean install" of XP Pro has been acting a little goofy. :roll: I haven't been able to run checkdisk normally for weeks. :? Surprisingly, diskeeper8pro could run it while doing a bootmode defrag. As and experiment, I went to msconfig/startup and disabled zlclient c:\programfiles\zon. Checkdisc ran from C without a hitch. I have an earlier versions of Zone Alarm Pro saved on CD. I think it's time to downgrade. My current version is 5.1.011.000.

I need to retract the above. :roll: Sometimes I make more changes than I remember. :( I discovered earlier on that day that Diskeeper8Pro installs itself as a service that starts automatically and put it in manual. When I read fallsroad's comments I made the change to ZA and checkdisk ran. It wasn't ZA but Diskeeper 8Pro that was causing my problem. Checkdisk runs fine with Diskeeper disabled and ZA enabled.

More on topic... I uninstalled ZA and installed a trial of Sygate. I then ran a scan on Sygate's website. 2 Port's, Ident 113 and Web 80 showed as closed. IMCP was open and it was pingable. In options, I checked Stealth mode which closed the IMCP port.

ZA showed Ident and Web as closed. ICMP was blocked. ZA scored better on Sygate's scan than Sygate. :roll:

It took a hardware firewall to stealth Ident and Web. It appears software firewalls are best for outgoing traffic. Use a hardware firewall for incoming attacks. :wink:

Kerio, Sygate and ZA offer free or trial versions. Try 'em all and then decide! My 2 cents. :D

For more scanning options... DSL reports .com and GRC.com